𝟗. 𝐀 𝐌𝐄𝐒𝐒𝐘 𝐃𝐀𝐓𝐄

𝙹𝚄𝙽𝙴 𝟸𝟶𝟷𝟾 | 𝙻𝙾𝙽𝙳𝙾𝙽

Elizabeth and Charlie had been together for what felt like long time now. Especially by Charlie's standards, he was a free-spirit before Elizabeth met him and he fell head over heels fast, catapulting into his first ever real relationship after only three months of knowing each other. However with his modelling jobs taking him all over Europe in preparations for the many upcoming fashion weeks; and the ever-growing list of editorial shoots that Elizabeth was juggling they had struggled to spend time together.  

When she had sent the text asking after his presence, wondering when he was going to be back from his most recent trip to Paris; she wasn't expecting an immediate response of a phone call. "That was insanely fast." She laughed into the phone out of surprise.
He matched the laugh and smiled into the phone, "I was planning on surprising you in the studio but I couldn't resist when you texted me. Literally just coming through Kings Cross if you're free to grab some dinner?" 

"That is, perfect timing." She added emphasis with the pause in her words, "I've literally just finished the final edit for Marie Claire so I can be at the station in 10?"  She looked at the clock and that would get her there at 6, perfect time for them to go to their favourite Thai restaurant and catch up. 
She could feel his captivating smile through the phone as he sighed in contentment, "I'll grab us a table at 'Supawan's? Not been there in forever."
"Not seen you in forever either!" She chastised, "Sounds great. See you in a bit." With that she hung the phone up, double checking all her projects were saved correctly - now nearly sick of seeing the same photo of Lily James she'd been editing - and bid Debbie and Tony a goodbye.

She practically ran through the rush hour foot traffic to the tube station. Her playlist decided to hit her in the heartstrings by playing Undo, a song by the band she was torn between rekindling a friendship with or cutting out of her life completely yet again. Rather than skipping it immediately like she once would've, she let it play, just taking in the song and appreciating her friends art. 

The ride wasn't too long but it was crowded, as it was around the time all the office workers were finishing up their jobs, many suited businessmen were crowding the station and desperate to get home. There was only one man on her mind though, and it was her boyfriend who she felt she'd been away from for far too long.

He spotted her through the window as she was approaching the restaurant, donning a trenchcoat, baggy jeans and combat boots, he felt she'd fit in on the runways he's been walking down for the last few months. He stood up as she entered the store and immediately engulfed her in a hug. Swaying from side to side.
"I've missed you." She mumbled into his chest, looking up at him and his newly cut and dyed hair. He noticed the look of surprise on her face as her eyebrows creased together. "When did you do this?" Her hand snaked up and ruffled the hair that was previously perfectly styled, cursing her for it he sat down. 

"Literally three hours ago, duties of the job." He shrugged, "I've already ordered for us by the way, got you the Thai squid and a side of rice."
Elizabeth grinned in appreciation, though she fancied trying something different from the restaurant today she decided against bringing it up. 

"So, tell me what's been going on in your fashion world recently then." She ordered, pouring herself a glass from the jug of ice water on their table. Though they texted and caught up with each other through Instagram stories, both of them had unintentionally not spoke for a few days and she couldn't figure out the reason why. 
He pursed his lips in thought, "I've been through so many fittings for YSL and Balmain, the shows are within a day of each other so the schedules keep clashing and it is an absolute nightmare but I'm coping." She nodded, pretending to understand and relate. "Then one Mr Harry Lambert had me in some Gucci for a magazine spread and they wanted my hair like this." He pointed at the brunette mop replacing what was once near-platinum blonde. 

Her mouth dropped open at the mention of Harry Lambert, she'd narrowly missed out on a One Direction phase in her teens, but she kept up with Harry Styles through instagram and listened to his album on repeat more than she'd like to admit.
"You and Harry Lambert? That is insane Charlie." She laughed in shock, if Harry followed him on Instagram then he'd more than likely seen some of her work and if he liked it, who knows if Harry Styles would discover her? 
"Absolute legend that man let me tell you." 

Their conversation about what was going on with Charlie had died down quite a lot once the food was brought out to their table, both of them hungry from a full day at work with minimal breaks for eating, and in Charlie's case a cross-channel train ride had really worked up an appetite. 
Aside from small praises towards the food they were enjoying, not much had been said and Elizabeth was unsure why. She'd put a lot of effort into asking after what was going on in her boyfriend's life, but had been given nothing in return. Sure he could just be tired, but she found that with the more his reputation as a model grew and grew, his ego grew alongside it and he began to only talk about himself. 

"Feels like we're on a first date again." He said, breaking the silence and preventing her overthinking. 
With another quirk of her brow she spoke, "How so?"
"I mean all the questions, feels like I barely know you and we're getting to know each other again."
Though there was no ill intent with his words it still struck a chord inside of Elizabeth and made her snappy. 

"Maybe if you'd ask something about my day and carry on the conversation how we normally would, it wouldn't feel so strange to you?" 
Immediately he noticed her upset, but rather than comforting her and apologising about being self-centred, he made matters worse. "Well I'm sorry for being passionate about my job."

"No but it's not being passionate Charlie, I love my job too but you never ever ask me about my day, ask to see my shoots, wonder who I'm working with." He was about to provide a counter argument but she jumped in again, "It's not that I don't enjoy hearing about what you do, because I love it and you know that. Just for once Charlie I want you to ask about me." 

"Come on you're being unreasonable now." That was the problem with him, he could never face up to a flaw or a mistake he made. In his eyes he was the poster boy of a perfect boyfriend, Elizabeth had hoped that after some time apart he'd have a changed mindset - but it was still the exact same. 
With a deep sigh and a pinch to the bridge of her nose, she just wanted to get home to her bed. "Charlie I love you, you know that, but you need to think about people other than yourself sometime soon. Or you're going to really fall into that stereotype of being a bitchy, full of himself, male model." 

She didn't care to stick around and hear his rebuttal, instead throwing a twenty pound note on the table and leaving to go home. Ready to rant to Liliana and ignore all the advice she'd give her, while wallowing into a glass of wine and her sad playlist.