𝟐. 𝐇𝐄 𝐂𝐀𝐍 𝐏𝐋𝐀𝐘 𝐃𝐑𝐔𝐌𝐒

𝙰𝙿𝚁𝙸𝙻 𝟸𝟶𝟶𝟻 | 𝚆𝙸𝙻𝙼𝚂𝙻𝙾𝚆

They approached the demountable classroom at the back of the school site where the band met every day. The weather was grey and cloudy as per usual in Wilmslow so they were relieved to step into the slight warmth that came from the space heater in the corner.
"Knock knock." Elizabeth spoke once she realised their entrance went unnoticed. Four pairs of eyes turned to look at her, then moved to stare at George. He was taller than the girl beside him and looked ever so slightly awkward at the stares.

"Right well this is George." she spoke up again, gesturing at the boy who gave them a wave and smile. They all smiled back as he gave them a quick 'Hello'. 
"Alright mate," Ross spoke up, taking it upon himself to introduce everybody. "I'm Ross, that's Matty, Adam, Rebecca and you obviously know Elizabeth. Nice to meet you." 
He smiled at everybody as their names were called out, "Nice to meet you all too." 

Matty stood up, "Shall we just cut the crap and get you on drums?" he sounded brash in his words but he didn't mean it in a rude way, he was just very forward and it came across as abrasive. Adam tutted slightly at the way he spoke but George didn't take it badly. 

"Sure, should I just play anything?" he questioned, moving from his place beside Elizabeth to sit on the stool behind the drum kit. 
They all nodded and waited patiently for him to start. Elizabeth moved from where she was stood to her usual seat against the wall of the room, near the window for her to gaze out of at the odd seagull that flew over, though they lived nowhere near the sea. 

He waited a few seconds before playing the opening to 'Dreams' by Fleetwood Mac. Elizabeth recognised it instantly and she was sure that the others did too. She was expecting to zone out while he played, but instead she was captivated. She was sure Matty was humming the tune to the song and she knew at that point they wanted him in the band. 
Everyone was shocked that this scrawny kid a year or so younger than them could play so well, eager to know more and quiz him on everything he knew. 

Once he finished they all clapped, the boys running to him to start bombarding him with questions. Asking where and how he learnt to play like that, if he was free everyday after school and if he wanted to be in the band. He laughed at their praise and answered all the questions in due time, leaving Elizabeth and Rebecca to go back to focusing on nothing in particular. 

"Good find Elizabeth." Matty complimented with a pat on the shoulder, making her smile and thank him. 
George also mouthed a thank you to her too, glad that he was received well within the group, "Not a problem." she responded, grinning her brace-clad teeth back at all of them.

Rebecca sat next to her sister, chatting about nothing in particular and flipping through a magazine at the same time. "Mum and dad have been getting on a lot better recently haven't they?" the older girl stated, glad that they hadn't had to sneak out in the night to smoke together in the skate park to calm down after a heated family argument. 
The younger sibling nodded, "It's because he's stopped drinking as much." she stated, knowing that was the cause of her fathers aggression and the threats of divorce from her mother. 

Rebecca also nodded, "Hopefully it'll last longer this time." A sad smile took over Elizabeths face.
"One can hope." she practically whispered, going back to watching the rain fall out the window as the boys played as many songs as they could before it got too dark.

"Anyone want to come back to mine to celebrate gaining a new member?" Matty offered once they had finally worn themselves out for the evening. "I have a bottle of Sourz in my room with our name on it." he jested, hoping that would entice everyone into having a midweek drinking-session. Knowing that they'd all take any excuse to get drunk. 
Everyone was in agreement, allowing Matty to lead the way out of the school grounds. George fell behind to walk with Elizabeth.
"Thank you for this, like seriously." he started, the girl smiling up at him as he spoke, "I didn't know what to expect, I wasn't scared but I was a bit like - woah," he made a scared face and gestured with his hands, earning a laugh. "But they seem like some class lads." he revealed.

Elizabeth nodded, "They are, we all get on great. Couldn't find a better bunch than these lot."
With that they walked the rest of the way in silence, not an awkward silence but a content one. George was happy he had found what seemed like a great group of friends so early on in his time at school, and Elizabeth was glad she had someone her own age to hang around with.

"Welcome to Casa de Healy." Matty spoke, opening the door and twirling in the hallway. They all laughed at his antics, having been there countless times over their childhood. George was ushered to the front of the group as Matty familiarised the new boy with his house. Denise hadn't made herself known yet so they went straight up to the room that was clad with posters and littered with clothes all over the floor. It fit the typical teenage boy room.

"God Matty your room is a state." Rebecca commented, slightly repulsed by the mess that was left everywhere. Eyeing a few empty crisp packets and cigarette butts. 
He rolled his eyes, "God you sound like my mum, if you're that bothered you can clean it." he retorted with a poke of his tongue, making everyone but her laugh. Rebecca scowled as she sat on the floor leaning against the bed, soon accompanied by Adam. The pair didn't waste any time before eating each others faces which left the other four staring at each other in silence, communicating only with looks between them and at the couple who seemed to forget that they were with company. 

"Ahem." Elizabeth broke the silence, knowing none of the boys were going to from their looks and pleading eyes at the girl. The pair broke apart and then noticed the stares they received. 
"Right i'm making a rule, no making out in my room because it makes the rest of us extremely uncomfortable." Matty stated, glaring at Adam.

"Well when you finally get yourself a girlfriend Matthew you're going to regret making that rule." Adam retorted, his hand finding the hand of his girlfriend.
Matty rolled his eyes, "I'll obviously just revoke the rule then you idiot. Anyway who wants shots?"