𝟏𝟕. 𝐅𝐈𝐑𝐒𝐓 𝐎𝐅 𝐌𝐀𝐍𝐘

𝙼𝙰𝚁𝙲𝙷 𝟸𝟶𝟶𝟿 | 𝙼𝙰𝙽𝙲𝙷𝙴𝚂𝚃𝙴𝚁

A few days prior, Elizabeth received a text from Matty at a stupid time like six in the morning, telling her to go to his house quickly and that it was urgent. It pained her to leave her comfortable warm bed at that time to make the trek to his house but she did it nonetheless, slightly concerned for her friend.

"Finally you're here." he cheered through the open door, pulling her into their rehearsal room.
She nodded, still groggy with sleep. "What's wrong?"
"Nothing is wrong stupid, we've booked our first gig in town!" he cheered, everyone else joining in and jumping around her in a group hug when her mouth opened in shock. She squealed and cheered with Matty who she hadn't seen this happy, ever.

That is how she ended up front row at a decent sized pub not far from Adam and Rebeccas flat. Her camera was primed and ready and she wanted to get the best photographs for their MySpace page which was their main source of promo. It was a surreal feeling to hear the songs played live with an audience of more than four or five. The bar wasn't completely crowded but it was far from empty. 
She was loving her life for the night though, dancing intoxicatedly to the likes of 'She Way Out' and 'The City' but she cried for Robbers, deciding to take pictures in an attempt to mask her tears.

She really did have to make a conscious effort to actually point and shoot her camera, especially after Matty called her out.
"I'd just like to give a shoutout to our personal photographer down there, make some noise for Elizabeth." 
Adam and Ross both shredded something on their guitars while George carried out a drum fill to add to the cheering, she smiled up at her friends and laughed. Cursing Matty for embarrassing her. 
"Sorry about that guys I just had to call her out because I saw too much dancing and not enough photography." everyone in the room laughed which only reddened her face more, giving them the finger. "Anyway here's Sex." 

"I can't believe him." she scoffed at the group of friends on the floor while they started the opening to her second favourite song. Screaming the lyrics louder than she ever had before. She was proud. Seeing a crowd of randomers enjoying the music and some even caring enough to know the words. It was an insane feeling.

"We have been 'Drive Like I Do'. Thank you very much for a wonderful night you beautiful people of Manchester. Thank you." he cheered as the lights came back up and they jumped off the stage to meet their friends. The boys running to their girlfriends awaiting them at the bar whereas George and Elizabeth had nobody to run to. 
She took a sip of her drink ignored the now even taller boy who stood awkwardly not very far away from her. "Like De Ja Vu ini't?" he laughed. Poking fun at their situation.

She gave a light scoff, partially at his joke but also at the fact that he'd suddenly decided he was on speaking terms with her again. There was a slight smile hidden in her look at him, but she masked it by taking a sip of her drink and staring at the scenes in front of her. Girls so infatuated with their band member boyfriends and crying tears of happiness for them. She couldn't help but roll her eyes just a little bit. 

George took a seat on the stool next to her, asking the bartender for just a glass of water to quench his thirst after a sweaty set. She debated making a joke, teasing him or calling him a lightweight for not opting for something stronger, but she decided against it. Not wanting to give him the satisfaction of a conversation without at least hearing the words 'I'm sorry.' leave his mouth. 

Instead of a happy congratulations, maybe a kiss and a hug, an uncomfortable silence took over the pair who sat at the bar. Tension in the air that even the bar staff could feel but were unsure if it was sexual or hostile. Even George was unsure himself, not clear on if all his years of friendship with the girl left him equipped enough to read her still. 
He didn't make any efforts to strike up a conversation and neither did Elizabeth, enjoying seeing him squirm.

Once the rest of the group joined them they both calmed down. A sense of familiarity that they were comfortable with overcame the group. Rebecca pulled her aside to discuss what she had seen. "Did I really just see my sister talking to George Daniel again? After all this time?" she giggled.

"Nope." she shook her head, plain and simple. Laughing slightly as her sisters face looked confused and disappointed. "He said five-ish words to me and I almost laughed, we sat in silence the rest of the time."
Her sister sighed over-exaggeratedly. "You couldn't even congratulate him after their first show! Elizabeth I love you lots but do you think it's time to let go?" 

The younger sibling shook her head, walking backwards to order two more shots for herself from the bar. Not caring about the state she was going to get herself in and only wanting to drown the thoughts that swam through her head. 

"Can you survive two more shots after those?" Ross chuckled, pulling her away from the bar and back into the group who were surrounding a tray of celebratory shots. Everyone grabbed one and cheered it with Matty who held his high in the air. 

"To the first of many more shows." everyone cheered and threw the drink back, grinning and laughing amongst themselves as it hadn't really set in that they had just ticked off their first milestone.