𝟏𝟕. 𝐃𝐈𝐍𝐍𝐄𝐑 𝐖𝐈𝐓𝐇 𝐆𝐀𝐁𝐁𝐘

𝙼𝙰𝚈 𝟸𝟶𝟷𝟿 | 𝙰𝚃𝙻𝙰𝙽𝚃𝙰

The band were soon approaching their final North American date and the times just so happened to link up with the end of Gabby's current project, meaning that she was able to tour with them for a few shows. Elizabeth appreciated having another woman on the road, there were a fair few in their touring crew but as she'd not seen Gabby in a while, she was excited to catch up and fill her in on any gossip in her life. 

That is how they found themselves at a dinner in a fancy looking Italian restaurant, giggling with each other over potential suitors Elizabeth had found through swiping right on Tinder in all the different cities she'd been to. Gabby obviously couldn't relate to any of her desperate attempts at finding love before she turned thirty, as she was already happy with Matty, and Elizabeth was obsessed with the couple. 

"You never know when you'll find your one, maybe you already have." Gabby stated, causing Elizabeth to think back to everybody she'd been involved with but not considering any of them as 'the one'.
Elizabeth sighed and nodded, "Maybe, or maybe I'll be living the hoe life until I'm sixty." 
Gabby laughed, her grin on full display, "You sound like Caroline, have you spoken to her much recently?" 

Elizabeth shook her head, they'd had a few conversations since the break up that mainly consisted of Elizabeth wishing her well and offering a shoulder to cry on. "Not a lot, I let her know I was thinking of her and everything, but I've not heard anything else. What actually happened between the two of them?" She didn't want to intrude but she'd not been told the details of what happened between George and his now ex. 

After a deep breath in and placing both her hands on the table Gabby began, "Well actually before I start, how much do you know?"
Elizabeth thought back to the day a few weeks ago now that she found out. "Barely anything, George just said that he'd been dumped and then I asked if he was okay and he said they'd 'been rocky' for a while."
Gabby gave a sad smile, "I mean I guess that's true, well you know how much I love Caroline, but I think she maybe overreacted a little bit as a way to get out."
Elizabeth cocked her head in confusion, "How so?" 

"Well, she found out that you and George had a thing years ago."
Elizabeth's face dropped at the confession, "Oh fuck, she didn't think that was still happening did she? God no me and George haven't done anything, we can barely hold a conversation anymore." 

With a sad nod Gabby continued, "Well I don't think it was just that so don't feel bad, she'd distanced herself from George for a while and he kind of initiated the break up because of what she was doing. Then she kicked off and properly said they were done." 

Elizabeth frowned, she had no intentions of getting into bed with George again and she wasn't sure how to make it any clearer. "That's so sad for both of them, now I feel guilty."
Gabby's hands immediately placed themselves on Elizabeth's to get her attention, "Don't feel guilty, you didn't do anything. I want to make that as clear as I can. There's no bad blood between you and Caroline either." 

"I just feel bad for the two, what can I really do to make Caroline feel better. I feel like I'm breaking girl code." Elizabeth was debating her options, make her friend feel sad every time she posts a photo with George or completely blanking him. 

Gabby sighed for a second as she looked off in thought, "Okay I didn't want to tell you this because Caroline asked me not to, but George was drunk one night and called her your name when he got into bed. He was completely wasted, half asleep and cuddling Caroline, then he called her 'Liza'. It took us ages to figure out who this Liza person was and she never called him out on it, she didn't think he would remember." Elizabeth opened her mouth, about to speak again but Gabby cut her off.

"Don't feel bad please. Caroline really likes you and didn't want you to feel bad at all because she knows it's not your fault, but this happened back in LA. First she was all paranoid that he'd been sleeping with you on the bus, but I asked Matty and he said you'd barely spoken to each other unless it was as a group. I think he still likes you Elizabeth." 

Her heart dropped at the mention of her old nickname. One that nobody has ever called her aside from George. It had been so long she practically forgot that she once loved hearing it leave his mouth.
It brought her a sense of comfort and security that she wasn't sure she'd felt since then. Which is why it pained her to say what she was about to, "I should stop speaking to him again shouldn't I?" 
Though she didn't want to say it explicitly, Gabbys face clarified that she was thinking the same thing. "It is up to you, if you think it'll help him get out of his old habits." 

Elizabeth sighed, unsure of what to do in this situation as she didn't want any of the parties involved to get hurt. "You need to put yourself first." Gabby said plainly, as if she could read her thoughts, "I know you care about both of them, but you matter the most to you." 
She nodded, "I'm just going to have to straight up ignore him, maybe I'll let someone else know who can tell him if they think they need to." Her thoughts trailed off to him calling his girlfriend of at least four years by the wrong name. She couldn't imagine the pain Caroline felt knowing she loved a man who had his mind on someone else.

Gabby pouted, finishing up the last of her meal, "Do whatever you need to, I just felt like you had the right to know or at least get a little heads up."
Elizabeth nodded, "Seriously thank you, it's not easy to tell someone that but I really appreciate you for giving me that warning."
"You know I'm always here for you darling." She confirmed with a nod, before they were finally able to move on to a topic easier for Elizabeth to digest.