𝟓. 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐁𝐈𝐆 𝐒𝐇𝐎𝐖

𝙰𝚄𝙶𝚄𝚂𝚃 𝟸𝟶𝟶𝟻 | 𝚆𝙸𝙻𝙼𝚂𝙻𝙾𝚆

All of their time, effort, and singing the Ghostbusters theme song had lead up to this moment. As the boys, their girlfriends and Elizabeth stood in the carpark of the community centre the nerves set in for them. The stage was set up for them behind a curtain, as they went on last after a dance routine by two girls who were in year seven at another school. The boys all gravitated towards their girlfriends once the parents took their seats inside, leaving George to find his way to Elizabeth. 

"How're you holding up?" she quizzed, knowing it was a dumb question as his whole body had been jittery from nerves. Something she had come to learn about George was that he was very self-critical, explaining why he worked himself up so much for their first real performance. 
He let out a sarcastic laugh, "Just peachy," Elizabeth gave him a stern look, telling him to be serious. "I am bricking it to be honest with you Liza, I just don't want to fuck up."

She ignored how he shortened her name even more, preferring the way Liza sounded coming out of his mouth out of the other options he had. He was looking down at his feet and she wanted to try and calm his nerves, she turned his head up slightly to look at her and made eye contact before speaking. "Look at me, just pretend it's another rehearsal and we're all in the music room at school again. You know like that first time we properly heard you play." he nodded, wanting her to carry on. "We were all so shocked by how good you were, better than Matty ever was if I say so myself. You've got this alright love?" she tried drilling the words into his head, hoping he took them on board. 

He nodded and leant down for a hug, smiling into her neck. "Thanks for that. Needed a pep talk." 
She smiled at his truthful response before they went over to the rest of the group, the girls faffing over their boyfriends and clearing all the lipstick stains they left from the absurd amount of kisses they peppered them with. Elizabeth went to each individual boy and wished them luck, the group basically becoming her older brothers since they started hanging out. Each one thanking her and giving her a loving hug. 

"We need to go and take our seats but you'll all do great." Rebecca said, following the other two girls inside. Elizabeth blew a kiss to them all with both hands, mouthing 'Good luck.' one final time, as they went to watch the show. 

The crowd was full of many more people than expected. Family members, friends of those performing, the family members of the friends, the friends of family members and random people from the town that saw it advertised and decided to see what it was about. There was a buzz in the air of anticipation that was most likely not felt by everyone, but those who were there for the boys felt it. Rebecca and Elizabeth sat with Denise, Tim and Louis, chatting about pointless things such as school and relationships. It passed the time and cut the feeling of anticipation for when the show was finally beginning. 

The first act was a child who definitely had his ego boosted too much by his parents because his magic was nowhere near good enough to get onstage in front of around 50 people and perform pulling a stuffed rabbit out of a hat. Rebecca and Elizabeth were whispering jokes about him to each other which earned them stern looks from the elderly surrounding them but they didn't care. His final trick was meant to be a disappearing act the flash smoke didn't appear soon enough so the entire crowd watched him run off backstage.
Next up was a girl who was singing a song she wrote herself, it wasn't a bad song and she wasn't a bad singer. The crowd were unanimously impressed by her and her talents, Elizabeth thought she sounded like Alanis Morrissette crossed with JoJo and when Rebecca heard that she was told to just "Shut up and watch the show." which signalled that she couldn't have been more wrong.

A flute has no place in a talent show, yes it might be impressive but it doesn't have the ability to make a crowd move, not even tap a foot. All they can do is sit and watch and it has absolutely zero impact on the people watching. After five minutes the people in the crowd can barely remember the song that was played. Elizabeth was extremely disappointed by this flute and just wanted to hear the boys play. Which is why she was delighted to see the two children come on stage to dance to some ballet tune.

It lasted slightly too long for her liking but she could appreciate how good they were, twirling and leaping around the stage in pointe shows. When the host announced the next act was "Me and You Verses Them", the name the boys decided on a week before the show when they were being pushed for a name for the poorly printed programmes, their section of the crowd went wild with cheers. Excited to hear them play for the first time.

Adam was first on the guitar with a little tune, followed by George really kicking off the song with the drums. Elizabeth couldn't help but smile as she watched the boy and his spasm-like mannerisms while he played. Mattys familiar voice filled the hall and she sang along instantly. He shot a look and pointed in their direction of the crowd which only filled his parents with pride. His girlfriend swooning as he winked, while the rest of the group just laughed. He was really embracing the lead-singer persona.

The atmosphere in the room had switched completely. Cheers erupting through the hall as if it were a concert at Manchester Arena. Those who knew it all sung along to the previous song, people stood up to dance in front of their seats and the girls could tell just how proud the boys were up on that stage.  

"Right for the last song, I'm sure you all know it, I want everyone dancing." Matty spoke, earning some cheers which he smiled gleefully at. The intro to the Ghostbusters theme started and everyone did just that, even the elderly people stood with assistance from their walkers to, in their words, 'Have a boogie.'
Elizabeth laughed, Denise was crying tears of happiness and as she looked around the audience, as were the other boys mums. The girls sang as loud as they could, making the most noise out of the whole room but they didn't care - they wanted to support their band.

"Thank you so much!" Matty cheered into the microphone before walking off the stage, followed by Adam, George then Ross. Each of them waving at the direction of their friends and family as they left. 

The boys hadn't been reunited with those waiting for them in the audience yet, instead the winner had to be announced first. When the host walked back up onto the stage everybody shut up and listened, Rebecca grasping her sisters hand in anticipation; desperate for her boyfriend to win the prize they so desperately wanted. 

"It gives me great pleasure to announce your winner, 'Me and You Versus Them'!" 

Everyone among the friend group erupted into cheers, the boys running out onto the stage to collect their prize and say a quick thank you into the mic. They were finally allowed to see their friends and family, the group of girls waiting for their parents to finish congratulating them before being able to say their 'Well done's. 

George finished first, basically running to Elizabeth who welcomed him with open arms. He was so excited he even picked her up during the hug, causing her to let out a very unattractive squeal. "Sorry about that." he laughed at her, while she looked slightly disapprovingly at him.

"I can't even be mad, congratulations winner." she cheered, punching him in the chest lightly. "What did I say earlier huh, I knew you'd smash it. Did you pretend we were in the practise room at school?" she wanted to know every detail about the performance and their feelings. 

"No actually I pictured everybody naked." he laughed, so did she until she realised something.
"George you perv you were basically looking at me the whole time." she hit him again but he just laughed it off.
"That was the point."

"Oh my God you sicko."