Chapter 50: A Future Reckoning

"Goddammit all!" Aarc roared as he slammed his fists on the table.

"Hey, what's all this about?" Sirena, who was surprised by this, posed the question.

"I'll tell you what! It's that damn Alastor bastard! He's been causing my business and my associates' businesses to crumble. He's interfering in our criminal activities!"

It's been a couple of months since the Phantom known as Alastor arrived and started causing trouble for the Crime Bosses including Aarc. To make matters worse, no one has been able to deal with him.

Aarc's heard the stories about this guy. He moves like a ghost and haunts bandits. This guy was a natural ghost story, however, Aarc didn't believe in ghost stories.

He only believed in facts, and the fact here was that Alastor was a nuisance, but he can't do much against him. Every time the Phantom tried to raid one of Aarc's bases, he's succeeded despite the countermeasure.

The same applied to the other Crime bosses as well. After Alastor invaded their territory, all of them beefed up their security. Sadly, this didn't work since the Phantom easily slipped past them and raided their base.

The fact that this Alastor person was causing Aarc and the other crime lords trouble was, in short, infuriating to them. Especially Aarc, who was at the top of the food chain in the Criminal Underground.

Thanks to the Phantom known as Alastor, his business has been staggering and slowly crumbling with each and every base he loses to him. This was what really angered the hob-goblin crime boss.

"This damn upstart...! Who does he think he is coming in and ruining my business, huh?! I just want to tear him limb from limb, dammit!" Aarc was at his wit's end with Alastor getting in his affairs.

"Have you found out who he really is?" Sirena asked, somewhat intrigued by Alastor.

"No, and that's what's even more frustrating!" The hobgoblin grabbed his head in anger. "No one knows who this bastard is! I've been having my spies trying to watch his movements and see if they can determine his identity, but they all went missing. They're likely dead for all I know. Whoever Alastor was, he was a dangerous little bastard."

The biggest mystery about The Phantom, Alastor, was that no one knew his real identity. Obviously, Alastor wasn't this guy's real name, but not a single soul knew who he really was. The only thing they know about him was that he wore a white mask and a worn-out cloak.

There was also his personality. He was silent, aggressive towards bandits and the like, and he acted like a genuine ghost. He's there, and then he isn't. It's like he disappeared as a true phantom would.

There's also the rumor about what he's done to his victims. There are those who have encounter Alastor, and they went insane soon after. Some of them even died from fright.

Apparently, The Phantom had the ability to cause people to go insane or something like it. Some of his victims were examined by Aarc's crew, and they could only deduce that Alastor used some kind of Psychic spell.

To make matters worse, it seemed to be irreversible. Even if they were able to get rid of whatever spell the bandits were under, they likely had no useful information, so it would be pointless.

The bottom line was that Alastor was true to his name as The Phantom. No one knows who he really is, and no one is able to touch him. He's literally like a ghost.

"Dammit all..." Aarc struggled while going through the paperwork involving Alastor's meddling.

"You sure you have the luxury of fretting over your criminal business when you're with us?" Sirena scowled.