Chapter 64: Connecting The Dots

"Ugh..." Zemmi groaned as she held her head. She was currently suffering from a headache after drinking so much alcohol before.

We were currently in King Gradrag's office in the castle. Gradrag and I were looking at Zemmi with both annoyed and exhausted expressions. I think you can tell who was annoyed and exhausted, right?

"Head still hurts, huh?" I said begrudgingly. If you hadn't already guessed, I was the one with the annoyed expression.

"Yeah...I don't think I've ever suffered such a bad headache before."

It's probably because I detoxified you with magic instead of letting nature take its course. Being drained of all that alcohol in your system in such a short time might be putting a strain on her body...though this was just her just desserts.

From what I read about the spell, using it on a drunk person would hasten the effects of hangovers, and make it twice as horrible. Sadly, I had no choice but to use this skill since it was the fastest way to end it.

"I'm still curious as to what made you get so drunk, Zemmi," Gradrag posed the question I wanted to ask her, though I have a gist of why.

"...I met up with someone I don't really like."

"Valdr, right?" I asked. "He's the god of war, I presume?"

Zemmi nodded her head, causing Gradrag's eyes to widen with shock.

"Why was the god of war, here? He usually never visits you in our territory."

Wait, so the god of war visits Zemmi? I mean, I understand that she's a First-generation, but what the hell?

"Does the god of war have some kind of crush on you or something?" I said this half-jokingly, but Zemmi next statement said otherwise.

"Something like that...that bastard always comes around and tries to get me to fall for him. His efforts were futile in the end."

This is...a lot more absurd than I expected. Why the hell did the god of war have such a crush on Zemmi? Hell, what does he see in her?

Wait, now that I think about it, Zemmi was a warrior, so maybe Valdr had a thing for her because she was a fighter. Wait, I'm getting side-tracked right now.

"You said something about Valdr's aunt being released. What did that mean?" She also said something about Famine, but I'll have Zemmi explain that.

"Yeah...apparently, one of the forbidden beasts is being released."

The forbidden beasts...so Zemmi wasn't just spouting nonsense. If one of the forbidden beasts was being unsealed, that's bad.

"I thought the forbidden beasts were sealed away after the war was over?" From what I read about the forbidden beasts; the seals were able to keep the beasts locked up forever.

"That's what I thought too, but apparently, those seals weren't going to last forever."

"And the gods knew about this?"

"According to Valdr..."

Are you serious? The gods knew about this and they didn't think to come up with a backup plan?

Speaking of the gods...

"How come the gods aren't doing anything about this? Why did they come to you?"

"Apparently, one of the gods is going through a trial. It's Zerris."

My heart slowly sank. I knew what the trial was about. It was about me.