Chapter 90: The Talk

"That was rather interesting," Touma said while sitting with Empress Sayuri, Naofumi, and Hanami.

"I told you so," Sayuri slightly gloated. "That boy is quite the spectacle, isn't it?"

"I wouldn't go that far, but I do see why you were so eager for him to come here."

The four of them were currently in Sayuri's office, talking about the events that transpired when Damien Crow arrived at Askon.

"Still...to think that boy would be the future Jade Emperor," Touma contemplated.

"Do you have your doubts?" Sayuri suddenly asked.

"Not exactly. Honestly speaking, I'm not sure what my expectations are for the boy."

It seems that during the meeting with Damien Crow and his family, Touma is having trouble figuring out what his impression on him is. It could very well be seen as doubt, but to Touma, it's merely a slight uncertainty of the boy's character.

The reason Touma and the others were discussing this was because they were ordered by Sayuri to watch Damien Crow closely and give her their honest opinions on him. However, it seems Touma is struggling with this.

"Tell me, Touma," Sayuri spoke up. "What exactly did you think of the boy when you saw him in action?"

"Hmm..." Touma took a minute to think before answering. "Inexperienced. Although I sensed a lot of power coming from him, it doesn't seem like he's matured enough to properly use it at his full potential."

When Touma first encountered Damien Crow, he could tell just how naïve and unprepared the boy was. When Damien tried to use his most used skills [Map] and [Monitor], he was shocked to find out that there was a barrier placed in the temple.

To Touma, this shows how unprepared the boy was. It appears that he leaps into danger headfirst before making a proper plan.

However...

"Despite that inexperienced," Touma continued. "I could tell the boy was making contingency plans to make up for what he failed to prepare for. He was thinking of ways that he could either escape this place or fight us."

Touma kept a keen eye on Damien's behavior during their conversation. Although Sayuri did most of the talking, he could still tell what that boy was doing.

His eyes showed when he was surprised at something he didn't expect...and when he was plotting something that compensate for it.

There was this deviant look in Damien's eyes. A look that expressed that he refused to get caught with his pants down a second time.

"What he lacks in proper preparations, he made up for it with his tenacious personality to not give up." This was Touma's actual impression of the boy.

"I see." Sayuri smiled upon Touma's explanation. "You are right that the boy is inexperienced. That is because of his rapid growth since coming to this world."

When Damien first arrived to this world, he was blessed by the goddess of Darkness and was giving power beyond comprehension at the time. When he leveled up, his stats would increase three to five times more than the average person.

Not only that but Damien wasn't bound by any classes that gave him specified skills. He wasn't just an Assassin Class with skills like [Dagger Arts] and [Shadow Step] but also a Warrior Class with skills like [Sword Arts] and [Iron Skin].

Because he wasn't bound by any classes, the number of skills he possessed was limitless. This may have been seen as amazing and unique, but it also has its flaws. One of them being that Damien would have to either focus on a set of skills and make those his primary skills or try to master all of the skills in his possession.