Chapter 13: More Than Meets the Eye

After explaining the news about what exactly the Grimoires were, Zemmi and the others couldn't help but feel flabbergasted. It took a few moments for them to collect themselves before helping Vlad and me go through some of the other Grimoires to confirm our theory.

So far, after skimming through a couple shelf halls, we concluded that the grimoires were indeed made during or before the Great Elder War. However, this should be impossible because after the war was over, any evidence of the Elders or the world before the gods pressed the redo button was erased.

Though, seeing as how there's a whole library of books involving the war and before that says otherwise. This is starting to turn into a huge mess.

While we continued going through the books, we started getting cross-eyed and decided that looking through any more of them would be a waste of time. Bottom line is we found a place that's not supposed to exist and it's a huge problem in more ways than one.

"This is seriously getting more and more complicated by the minute," I muttered while staring at one of the shelves in front of me.

"You're telling me," Vlad sighed. "I don't know much about the great elder war or anything related to it, but after reading these books, even I can see how dangerous this place is."

"You don't know the half of it," Zemmi jumped in while placing her hands in her face. "All the grimoires here have ancient magic spells. If someone found this place, they'd be one of the most powerful beings in the world."

After reading some of these books, I can believe that. If some magic user came across this place, they could turn the world into their personal playground. I can't say for sure that they could stand up against the gods, but I do know that the gods would have a hard time dealing with them.

Out of all the places this library had to be in, why did it have to be under my home? This just puts a huge burden on me, dammit.

Just thinking about all the problems this place can cause to the outside world is already giving me a headache. We might as well just burn this place to the ground and be done with it.

Actually, when I suggested this, Amy started burning a couple of the books, but there was a little surprise that shocked all of us.

"...It's not burning?!" I yelped.

The book was just laying on the ground burning, but it wasn't getting smaller or turning to ash. It just stood there, withstanding the fiery flames of Amy's spell.

What the hell? How is that even possible?

After a few moments of seeing a flaming book, the fire was soon extinguished, and the book was completely fine. Amy was more shocked than the rest of us when she saw this event unfold.

She slowly reached for the book and held it up with shaking hands. She couldn't peel her eyes away from the book that she tried to burn and failed. And this is Amy we're talking about.

She could easily destroy an entire Ogre village with a single spell and call it a 'warning shot'. The fact that she failed to burn a simple grimoire speaks volumes about what we're up against.

"T-the grimoires must have protective enchantments, but I didn't expect something this powerful." Zemmi couldn't suppressed the surprise in her voice. "Just where in the hell did Desmond find these books?"

That's what I want to know too. To gather this many books in one place takes a lot of work and effort. Not only that, but since these grimoires aren't necessarily supposed to exist, that would raise the difficulty by a lot.