Chapter 69: Meeting Old Friends

Aarc and the rest of the group were slowly arriving at their destination. As they were, Aarc looked down at the scene before them, witnessing countless wendigos roaming the land.

"It's like an infestation..." He muttered.

"The one thing you should be afraid about the Famished is not only their insatiable hunger but also their never-ending numbers. In fact, all of the forbidden beasts have endless forces, but Famine's likely the only one who uses them the most." Upon Sirena's explanation, she looked down as well to see the countless wendigos below them.

"And we're trying to tame such a beast?" Aarc once again voiced his concerns.

"Like it or not, we're going along with the plan. The gods are formidable, and those beasts can be a huge asset to us."

"If they obey us, yes?"

"Always the skeptic, huh?" Emilia laughed at the goblin's constant hesitation.

"If I wasn't a skeptic, then I wouldn't be a Crime Lord, you know? I have to see things from a different angle than others, so I can be sure things go the way I want. Otherwise..."

"You'll die, yes?" Lucian finished Aarc's sentence while glancing at him. "Be that as it may, our entire goal is to get rid of the gods. Using the forbidden beasts is the most efficient method. Maybe even the only method."

"I've been meaning to ask that, but why is it that you want to get rid of the gods so bad? You don't have to answer, but I'm still curious."

Upon Aarc's question, Lucian's face turned grim. He then looked at the scene ahead of him, wearing a nostalgic look on his face.

"Remember when I told you that someone told me about the Elders and that someone is no longer around?"

"Y-yes..." Although hesitant, Aarc answered.

"...His name was Nyctimus. He was a First-Generation and also the youngest son of the First Wolf-folk or Lycan, Lycaon. And he was my mentor before the gods decided to kill him."

Lucian clenched his fists, feeling the rage he's been feeling since the death of his mentor. Before the treacherous Lycan knight became a close aid to the Lycan King, he used to be an orphan, living in alleyways.

That all changed when Nyctimus appeared before the young boy and decided to take him in. Soon after, Nyctimus raised Lucian as both an apprentice and son.

Years went by and Nyctimus thought it was time to tell Lucian the truth of the world. How the world was really made by the Elders and not the gods, and how he was actually older than the gods themselves.

Lucian was even told of the Great Elder War; one of the bloodiest wars in history, but because of the gods, no one knows about it these days except for those who were there which were the gods, and the remaining First-Generation.

However, despite being told this, Lucian didn't really think it mattered to him. As long as he was with Nyctimus, he was fine.

That all changed when Nyctimus was killed by the gods. More specifically, by the Goddess of Light, herself. Lucian doesn't know why the gods decided to kill his master and father, but at that point, he didn't care.

The only thing that mattered to him was getting revenge. Sadly, Lucian was up against the gods themselves. Taking them down was more or less impossible.

That all changed when Lucian encountered a certain Lich about a year later. After hearing each other's stories, they decided to work together against the gods. However, they couldn't do it themselves, so they decided to recruit a few other people.