Chapter 52: The Invasion Part 1

It's been a couple weeks since the Champion of Darkness visited the village that Lilith Hicks resided. Since then, he and his friends sometimes visit and play with Lilith and the other kids while also helping out around the place.

At first, the people were more or less scared, but it wasn't about having the Champion around them. It was more along the lines of losing a family member, in this case, Lilith.

Due to Lilith being a Child of Zerris, her existence was widely considered a threat to humanity. However, the villagers that Lilith lives with don't believe this. When Lilith was first born, although they were cautious, they welcomed Lilith with open arms.

After spending years with her, the villagers concluded that she was no threat to anyone. Sure, she had powers that were more or less unnatural, but she never used them to harm people.

Plus, her personality wasn't some wicked or evil being looking down on the people. It was the personality of a sweet and innocent girl enjoying her youth and playing with the other kids her age.

It was plainly obvious to the villagers that all those rumors about how evil the children of Zerris were just that; rumors. Of course, they could be a reason as to why people say that the children of Zerris are evil.

It was suspected that a Child of Zerris turned bad when humanity turned on them out of fear. Because Zerris was known for being the Goddess of Darkness, her children or any of her creations were considered monsters in the eyes of the people.

They weren't treated as human beings, so they simply caved in to the pressure and hate and became what the people feared them to be in the first place. Unfortunately, most people would think this theory to be hubris, because it would implement that instead of the children of Zerris being born evil, they were turned evil from the fear and hatred of humanity.

And that would indicate that it was humanity's fault for causing the evil terrors of the Children of Zerris. It's poetic how true this theory was, yet people deny this fact simply because they don't wish to be worse than the things they deemed evil, even if it was out of pure fear.

Ethan Cadell surely thought so when his daughter was first born. Due to his background as the former First-lieutenant of the Amarian Military, and the fact that he was born and raised in the Amarian Kingdom, Ethan was taught that anything related to Zerris was evil.

Ethan was trained from a very young age and was taught to always be vigilant, to always do his very best, and to always serve his country well. And he was doing just that right up to the point he came first-lieutenant.

However, despite having accomplished so much in his life, he never felt fulfilled. He always felt this empty feeling deep within his soul. Instead of feeling alive, he felt like some robot, marching to where he's told to go.

Despite living in a place that's supposed to be full of life and happiness, Ethan wasn't feeling any of it. His whole life up to the day he left was nothing more than pain-staking hours to improve himself, but not for his benefit, but for the benefit of others.

It was suffocating to him. He wanted a way out of this life, but because of the way he was raised, he knew better than to do that.

Still, it didn't stop him from thinking, "Is this really what I want?"

Is it my destiny to be this way, like all the others? Does happiness from my country trump my own? It was questions like these that kept surging through Ethan's head.

It wouldn't be long before he gives in to the dull and lifeless lifestyle he was just in. That is until he met a woman who would be his future wife.