Chapter 55// "She is her mother's daughter."

Chapter fifty-five; "She is her mother's daughter."
・・✿・・

" ・・✿・・

・・✿・・

"Hasn't been arrested, she pays all her taxes, all her friends like her– Mom's got a squeaky clean record."

Colton leaned back against his chair while Nate and I were look at our lead board that we set up in the study room.

The board consisted of Mom's potential enemies– who were only us and her side of the family– and the network of friends, businesses and connections she had. All who have no motive in blackmailing her. From what we know.

"I think we should go with our first initiative. Go with the child abuse allegations. She did neglect us and leave us in our sister's care," Colton said and spun around in the chair.

"That move is a double edged sword. It'll put Mom on the papers and TV, but it'll also put Hayden on them too. She'll be charged for kidnapping. You have to think about the consequences on both sides or else it'll backfire."

"What about Nate's grandpa? He can't do anything?"

Nate remained staring at the photos on the wall, "well she didn't do anything wrong really. She did business with my grandfather and talked with my mother. None of which are illegal."

"How about the Vanderbilt family and Riley and Hayden file for a restraining order with allegations of harassment and stalking? Then make a statement about it to the public."

"Without video proof of this harassment and stalking, a restraining order would be impossible. They don't take your word for it and believe you. I've tried that before," I sighed and took a seat, "besides those allegations can easily be proven false. And you know what that leads to? A law suit. Mom can sue us and Nate's family for defamation. It'll make everyone look bad."

"This is more difficult than I thought it would be. The TV shows make it look easier."

"Does your mom always wear her wedding ring?" Nate asked, still facing the lead board, "and your dad?"

"Mm.. I dunno," I got up to look, "she wears jewelry, but I don't ever notice if she wears her ring."

"Look. Your parents were wearing their wedding ring in all of these photos. I think it's around the time Hayden was first born, right?"

"Right.."

"If you look at these photos, they took them off. Even the recent ones– no wedding ring."

"Well, my dad cheats on my mom all the time and I'm not surprised if she has either."

"You would think they'd at least convince the press that they're still in love," Nate guessed, "if their marriage is so estranged why don't they just divorce?"