Chapter 18 // "I was happy."

Chapter eighteen; "I was happy."
・・✿・・

" ・・✿・・

・・✿・・

"Riley, it's Serena. You missed school for the past couple of days, I was just wondering if you're doing okay."

"Hey, it's Dan. I haven't seen you in awhile and I know it's because of Serena and I, but I'd love to catch up with a cup of coffee. Call me back."

"Serena again– it's been awhile, a lot has happened and you've been quiet.. If there's something wrong you know we can talk. You were always there for me, so call me back."

"Humphrey, Dan. Look Riley, I apologize if I didn't notice anything important before you were missing. But everyone is worried and with what you told us before, we just want to know if you're okay."

"Serena here– Riley, just talk to us. Please."

"Hi Riley, it's Blair Waldorf. And I'm also calling because Serena's making me– it's been terrible with you gone. I know we aren't close, but you disappearing without a trace isn't normal."

"Okay it's Blair again. I'm going to admit that sometimes I do need proper advice from an outsider. So please get back."

"Riley. It's Nate. I didn't give Blair the ring and we broke up for too, but things with family haven't cleared up and it's getting worse. I don't know what to do without you. Can you call me?"

"Riley, it's Nate again. I know you're still here in New York but you don't want to leave your house. I'm not going to force you to come back. I just really need you as Riley Hayward. Not as a therapist, as a friend."

After Kai sent the letter, a lawyer came by with a package filled with legal documents of our marriage. There was proof of my signatures on multiple contacts binding Kai and I's future together. Apparently, people can be legally engaged before getting married. Meaning that Kai has trapped me in his grasp with the law and I couldn't get out.

Following the news, my three day break from reality turned into three weeks. Constance has frequently called Hayden to ask about the circumstance of my absence, she decided that it was better for me to drop out for now. She didn't tell my parents or Colton anything– yet. My therapist has been working with me the past weeks and said I'm not ready to face anyone from outside.

The letter made my whole mind collapse into a dark, cold, place. When the murders happened in front of and Kai got sent to prison, this is what happened. My world ceased to exist– I was a living, breathing, piece of nothing. Couldn't eat, couldn't sleep; before my mother gave me those beta blockers, I was on the brink of death.