Chapter 14 // "Just the two of us."

Chapter fourteen; "Just the two of us."
・・✿・・

" ・・✿・・

・・✿・・

Serena and I were probably both laying down on our beds or the window sill as our phones pressed agains our cheeks. After the movie– and receiving all of my messages– she called me to apologize for her absence.

"I'm not avoiding you because of the mixer. It's just that after making up with Blair, we've been hanging out with each other all day today, I'm sorry."

"Why are you apologizing? You're getting your best friend back," I smiled, "I'm happy for you. And please disregard those stupid Gossip Girl blasts.."

"Not gonna lie, that last one almost got me. Then I remembered that I was the one that ditched Dan so–" she giggled, "deserved that one."

"No, you don't. Why don't you make plans with him this time? Something that will fit your schedule?"

Serena stopped talking for a few seconds, "yeah, yeah you're right. I'm gonna invite him to me and Blair's photo shoot tomorrow."

"I don't think–"

"You're coming too! It's at 8AM, it's going to be boring but we'll have each other to lively up the fun."

"Serena!"

"I'm texting you the address and calling Dan! Bye!"

I scoffed, at least she's pretty. Before I started to get ready for bed, another person called me– this time it was Nate.

"Hey!" I connected my phone to the charger and set it on speaker, "how's the Last Weekend?"

"Lost Weekend," Nate laughed, his perfect smile probably radiating the world, "it was all good until Chuck and I got into a fight. He's jealous that I've been getting close to a friend."

"I'm not surprised," my eyes rolled back, "who?"

"This guy Carter Baizen. He's four years older than us. From the same type of family too. But he left to go travel the world, makes YouTube videos of himself on a go-pro."

"That seems interesting. With what money?"

"He only used his parents' money to get the ticket. He started to do beach clean ups and other side jobs to make ends meet," Nate lightly chuckled, "it would sound like a struggle for us but he looked real happy talking about it."

"Why'd Chuck get angry then?"

"Just doesn't like the guy, says his stories are stupid and–" He sighed, "–pulled the Dad card on me. Me not wanting to go to Dartmouth or be anything like him, then asked me what was my dream? My future and who I was going to be?"

"And you said.."

"Nothing, I just walked away. Like I always do. I don't know, while I was alone I thought about calling you."