Chapter 45 // "To say I love you."

Chapter forty-five; "To say I love you."
・・✿・・

" ・・✿・・

・・✿・・

I waved at Colton through the passenger window. He was the last one to be picked up after football practice again. When he came into the car, he launched his backpack and sighed.

"They can at least call me if they aren't going to pick me up."

"Meeting," I simply answered since that's what Mom told me. If Colton wasn't downstairs in the kitchen before dinner, rummaging through the storage for snacks, I knew he wasn't back home yet.

We entered the house, no one but us to be here. Hayden was never around anymore after getting her first job. She did everything to avoid home, even if she was going to be leaving her siblings.

"You ever wonder why Mom and Dad had us?"

Colton asked as he was taking off his practice gear in the living room. He had a down expression– didn't he always?

"Only all the time."

"I hear my friends talk about their parents sometimes. They make it seem like they actually love them."

"They do love us, they–" I sighed and fiddled with my hands, "they're just busy working, Colton."

"They should've thought twice before starting a family. What's the point in raising kids if you're not even gonna be here most of the time?"

♫♫♫

For the rest of the country, Thanksgiving is for when families come together to give thanks, but on the Upper East Side, the holiday thankfully returns to its roots– lying, manipulation and betrayal. And from what we heard, just like the Indigenous People, someone else is being pushed out of their home.

I let out a loud huff when I took a second to catch my breath.

Nate looked behind, a smirk starting to form on his face. He woke me up early this morning to take a walk around the park– turned out to be a workout. We were running laps around after finishing core exercises.

"It's not bad. This isn't even a mile yet."

"Why are we doing this?" I groaned as I was hunched over. Going a year off sports really did something to my body– I was an old lady now.

"We gotta appreciate our body. You know, before we turn old and fragile. It also builds character."

"What character are we building?"

"I don't know. But my dad always said that and it convinced me. Come on!"

"We're on vacation. Aren't we supposed to be drinking hot chocolate and skipping to the Christmas movies?" I asked while trying to catch up with him.