Chapter 21 // "Girls, girls, girls."

Chapter twenty-one; "Girls, girls, girls."
・・✿・・

" ・・✿・・

・・✿・・

Serena, Dan, Nate and Blair– for who fucking knows what reason– were gathered around the front of my hospital bed. I was wearing my Hello Kitty pajamas because they didn't text before coming.

"Um–" I brought up my knees towards my chest to hug them, "Okay. For the past month I disappeared because Kai transferred from prison to a psych ward. Where he'll have more ways to contact me from inside."

"P-prison!?" Blair almost choked on her own spit, "who is this?"

"Blair. I told you not to come," Serena rolled her eyes, "Just ignore her."

"He sent a letter warning me about our relationship. Then, I got engagement papers sent to me. It was a complicated situation because they had my signature in legal print. But I don't remember signing them."

"If I did want out on this soon-to-be marriage, there was a risk of me being thrown in jail or fined. Kai has all the right reasons to pull out the mentally-sick card. He'd make up a scheme about me taking advantage of him and stuff."

"Even though it's obviously the other way around?" Dan furrowed his eyebrows.

"There's no evidence. Kai never psychically abused me and it's hard to convince people that he was doing something to me. I lied to police and said I had nothing to do with him that night," I scoffed, "Everyone thinks we were the perfect couple until that tragedy. I have nothing."

"So what about now? You've had weeks to find a loophole?"

Nate butted in, "Riley and I are going to California on Sunday. She's going to sign a few court papers. It'll be over after that."

"California?" Blair arched an eyebrow, "since when?"

"Since the phone call last night. And you don't get to say anything because we're not together anymore," Nate rolled his eyes, which caused me to become a little uncomfortable.

I nodded my head, "there's nothing to worry about anymore. He'll still be here– in my head. After this, I wanna believe everything is over."

"That's good to think that way, Riley. But what if it doesn't pan out exactly like that.." Serena began to hint at the worse case scenario, "you're going to have to fight through a lawsuit."

"Not only that but the public eye," Dan added, "I know your family paid good money to keep this out. That only does so much."

"I don't want to think about that right now," Another sigh came out, "I'll talk to guys in a little awhile. My family is gonna come over soon with lunch, so.."

"Yeah, of course," Serena cleared her throat and picked up her purse, "Riley, if you need anything. Anything, I'll be here. If you need to bury a body–"