Chapter 1 // "Don't mess up this time."

Chapter One; "Don't mess up this time."
・・✿・・

" ・・✿・・

・・✿・・

My life wasn't perfect. It wasn't like the novels where everyone ends up happy or the Best Movie in America type of life.

My hand touched the keys of the piano, eyes wondering to the score in front of me. My breathing, the only other noise in the room.

If only my world just revolved around the piano.

Around me were awards, music scores, books. Everything that summed up my life. Half of it.

I held up my hands in front of me. I closed my eyes and sighed.

"Knock, knock."

Colton, my younger brother, entered the room. He took a chair and sat next to me, smiling and handing me a bowl of strawberries.

Before he sat down, he asked, "are you sure you're making the right choice, Riley?"

The small smile faded and I looked around the music room.

"I don't know," I sighed again, "I can't live here knowing that Mom is willing to control my life 'till the day I die. And Dad could care less."

I looked up at my brother, who had a sad expression on his face.

"I want a new life, where most people won't know who I am. The wrongs I've done," My hand met my forehead, "everything I've done." 

"I understand. You're a pretty shitty person."

I looked at him and laughed. In a few days, I'll be leaving for New York. I decided this a month ago when an incident happened. Hayden, my older sister, lived in New York because she worked for a modeling company. She told me that if anything went wrong, I can always come to her. So that's exactly what I was doing.

"I'm gonna go start packing. I have a bunch of stuff."

Colton hugged me once last time, even if I wasn't leaving yet, and sighed.

"Don't mess it up this time."

I nodded and placed the side of my cheek on his shoulder, "I know."