Chapter 48 // "They poisened themselves."

Chapter forty-eight; "They poisoned themselves."
・・✿・・

"・・✿・・

・・✿・・

Lorelei and Anne sat on the couches of the Archibald home. They were enjoying their cups of tea while Lorelei started the small talk.

"I just wanted a friendly chat between mothers, seeing as our children have been dating. They're quite smitten with each other."

"So I've heard from Nate. He won't stop talking about her, not that I'm complaining. She's a kind girl. She's been looking after my son for awhile," Anne started to feel a little sad– guilty, really.

"Young love," Lorelei laughed, "I remember times like that when I was their age. I was never the brightest star in the galaxy when it came to men. Riley seemed to have gotten that gene from me."

Anne almost choked on her tea, "I-I'm sorry?" She scoffed, "Nate is a good boyfriend–"

"I'm not talking about Nate. I agree– he's one of the best things that have ever happened to her. The only good in her sad, pathetic life," Lorelei chuckled which made Anne even the more concerned, "I can't speak for your son, but I speak for my daughter. She's not the girl you want around him. Everyone, everything, touched by her hand will crumble and fall."

"Oh, but he wouldn't stick around a girl like that for too long. If he knew–"

"If he knew, he'd leave. He doesn't though," Lorelei set down her cup, crossing her legs, "and we know how being in love feels. How we'd do anything for those we love. Like run away with them, even if they were a wanted criminal."

Anne gasped slightly, but she stayed quiet to listen. By the tone of Lorelei's voice, this wasn't a threat. She was warning her.

"I'm not sure what Nate would do for her. But Riley is a master in playing the strings of the hearts she captures. She may not have won many here, but you can guess what happened back home," Lorelei frowned disappointingly, "I wouldn't want to see Nate on anymore covers of the newspaper or TMZ or any type of media. After all you two have been through.."

"Nate says he really loves her."

"They all loved her. That's the downfall."

"Alright!"

I yelled as I placed the star on the top of the tree. Nate was carrying me on his shoulders and was finally able to let me down. I insisted in getting the ladder from the attic, but he thought this would be more fun.

"With the decor all out and snow finally falling, it's starting to feel more like the holidays," Nate looked around the house.

We spent all day with Hayden and Colton decorating the empty mansion. The house was so spacious that I had to run to the store to get more Christmas ornaments.