Chapter 44 // "I'm just saying."

Chapter forty-four; "I'm just saying."

・・✿・・

・・✿・・

What may be a final decision will soon be a temporary change. You can never know what the future holds, no matter how many blasts you send. At least I can make the present more fun.

I fixed my tie in the mirror and threw on the thick brown coat for today. Fall was here. It already was, but the fallen leaves were now crunchy and I finally pulled out my heater from the closet.

Gossip girl made it seem like Nate and I had a nice getaway in California, pointing out how we skipped school. She found it funny that I moved on quickly from Chuck– anyways, we were now back at home. Meaning school resumed as usual.

"Midterms are soon. Are you excited?" I asked Nate when I walked downstairs. He was cooking breakfast for us today, still in his pajamas.

"I sneak my phone in between questions and I always pass. So I don't sweat it," He winked and placed a plate of omelette on the table, "you're gonna be okay?"

"Midterms? I usually do okay–"

"I mean up here," Nate flicked my forehead, "you found out everything in one day. Had to fly out back to California with your family to do a trial and face your ex-boyfriend. All in a week."

"Yeah, it was fucking crazy, but I'm still in shock. It hasn't hit me yet," I furrowed my eyebrows together, "it all happened really fast. I think I'm okay."

He nodded before making himself some food and sitting down with me at the table.

"Well, I don't mean to freak you out more or add even more stress into your life.."

"What's wrong?"

Is it his father? Did he get caught while we were gone? Was he dropping out of school? Did he get his acceptance letter early?

"I want you to come meet my family for Thanksgiving. My mom has been wanting to meet you ever since she found out Blair and I broke up. Because of you."

"Because of me?"

"Basically," Nate starting to shy away from that accusation, "if you don't want to– that's fine. The Vanderbilt family isn't, well, nice. They aren't nice."

"If you put it that way–"

"I'm not gonna lie. I do love them. They're family."

He was holding onto his cup tightly, nervous for my answer. He wanted me to say yes, to finally get this over with and see if his mom likes me or not. Because she was the only family in the world that he really cares for.