Chapter 11 // "I tried to be rational.."

Chapter eleven; "I tried to be rational.."
・・✿・・

" ・・✿・・

・・✿・・

Riley's Point of View

There is plenty of upside being the spawn of the wealthy one percent. But the downside? Super successful parents expect nothing less from their offsprings. And when it comes to college, that means the Ivy league. It's more than just getting into college; it's setting a course for your fate. When parents have sacrificed everything for their children's future, what kid would want to let them down?

A sigh escaped from my lips when I read Gossip Girl's newest post– Hayden bursted into my room last night to update me on what Ivy Week meant at Constance and what I needed to do to get accepted to one. And when I told her I didn't really care.. we got into a full blown argument about my behavior.

This morning I woke up later than usual, taking an ice-cold shower, and waking up to the breakfast Rose made for the both of us. Hayden stayed silent while on her phone as I was finishing up the last of my omelet.

"Riley," Hayden slammed her phone on the table, "I apologize for my anger my last night.. It's just really hard out there this week and not because of the college interviews, but because of the students."

"What?" I bit into an apple slice, "people in my school, you mean?"

"Those prissy people in your school will do anything to get into their dream college to make their parents proud," she weakly smiled, "even if it means ruining some other kid's opportunities. I want you to prepared for what happens."

"Hayden, I'm not going to go to Brown or Harvard," I stated, "There are a tons of kids out there that have grades way above my average and applications filled to the core. I'm not going to get accepted into an Ivy."

"You won't?" Hayden rolled her eyes, "you've been a musical prodigy since you were four-years-old! Competing in constant competitions, attending red carpet awards, endless shelves of recognitions and scholarships.. Universities are always on the look for stars like you– why? To use your face as admission bait for the future."

She took her daily espresso shot that Rose prepared, "your face will be printed on the front of pamphlets and magazines with the caption Celebrities Who Have Graduated."

"You're so stupid," I laughed and picked up my plate, "I'm considering getting into Curtis Institute of Music– the one I would mention sometimes back home–"

"I was never listening."

"–and it seems really good, there are only around 400 students and being in a small school would be a dream for me."

"What's their acceptance rate?"

I faked a cough and scrunched my nose, "two percent..."

"Woo! Good luck!" Hayden clapped her hands, "now hurry up and get ready. You need to be early to show how you're not a push over."