Chapter 9 // "Can you all just listen?"

Chapter Nine: "Can you all just listen?"
・・✿・・

Chapter Nine: "Can you all just listen?" ・・✿・・

・・✿・・

Nate and I stopped by a small dog park to sit down, he was trying to his mind off of what happened by talking about sports.

"It was dumb– I didn't even fucking hit the guy, his ankle happened to be in the way of my stick."

"It honestly just happens."

We sat in silence and waited for the world around us to bring some other topic to discuss about, however, neither of us wanted to speak up.

"I'm going to keep trying with Blair. Especially after today."

I didn't bother to give him advice– Chuck and her took much of my energy today, so I replied, "that's great, Nate."

He sighed and got up from the wooden bench, "I'll go back to her now and maybe tell you what went on before you find it online."

"Good luck," I waved goodbye and slouched back into the chair. My hands covered my eyes as I groaned– what was I going to do?

"I'm putting you on a leash and preventing you from making mistakes."

Was Chuck threatening me or protecting me? Because that's a twisted way of trying to protect someone– then again, he mentioned he wanted to defend them. I clutched my head, they need to find out someday, Riley.

"Kai! My parents are going to be so mad!"

He ignored what I said and continued to pull me up the hills; it was a late Saturday night— almost 4AM– when he told me to jump out my window and drag me on a trip.

"We're here."

It didn't seem like we were above so high, but when I saw the sight in front of me, the whole city of Long Beach looked like stars. They were clusters of lights in areas, some lights were by themselves and created a string of brightness.

"Beautiful, isn't it?" Kai commented, "I wish there wasn't such shitty people that ruined it."

"That doesn't take away the fact that the place is nice as a whole," I refuted his statement, "there are more good things than bad."

"Not here," his focus was on the illuminated city, "sometimes we don't see the bad things because we're a part of it."

"A part of it?"

Kai chuckled and broke his prolonged staring, "nothing."

His hand reached towards the side of my face and dragged his thumb across my cheek, "it's nothing.."

My body jolted up and I widened my eyes– a sensation of chills from the back of my neck until the bottom of the spine caused me to wake up.

Today I decided to ask Nate, Serena and Dan to come over so I could clarify to them about my past; this was semi-inspired by Serena and I's discussion but mostly by Chuck's threats. After eating some late breakfast and taking another cold shower, I called Dan to ask if he was on his way.