Chapter 51 // "A politician's wife."

Chapter fifty-one; "A politician's wife."
・・✿・・

" ・・✿・・

・・✿・・

Springtime on the Upper East Side. Where the winter chill is suppose to be so last season. But when mittens and scarves are still all the rage, the best thing you can do is just button up and hope for warmer days..

"How is it still snowing? By this time it should be getting warm enough to swim in the lakes," I held my hand out to catch the snow falling from the sky.

"Unlike California, the East coast winters hold out a bit longer," Dan huffed from the cold wind, "last time you spent spring break back home. Are you and Nate going back?"

"After we have our anniversary party, we thought about going to Europe and traveling by ourselves. One week isn't enough, so we moved it to summer vacation."

"Ah, there's nothing like summer in the Eastern block. Just your map in hand and your tour guide yelling in your ear."

"And Nate, the Vienna state opera, the Eiffel tower, the Leaning tower of Pisa," I went on, "Nate's super excited about it and I am too."

"Probably not as excited as he is about our day of college basketball," Dan sighed. Nate invited us over to his house to watch a game over lunch. Since he did watch some of my favorite movies, watching a sports game was fine by me. Just not fine by Dan.

"..I know your mom's out of town, but if you came–"

"Hey, guys, hey. This is my cousin, Tripp. Riley, you've met him before at the opera house. Let me introduce you two properly– this is my girlfriend, Riley Hayward."

I shook his hand and plastered a small smile, "hi.."

"This is Dan."

"Dan. Nice to meet you," Dan shook Tripp's hand politely.

"I'm trying to convince Nate here to make an appearance at the family hoodoo this weekend– lunch today, cocktail party tomorrow," Tripp turned to Nate, "hey, Maureen will be there. We're engaged now."

"I didn't know that. That's fantastic!"

"Yeah, well, you missed a lot. Hey, why don't you drop by? Grandfather would love to see you, too," Tripp held onto Nate's shoulder.

Nate glanced over to Dan and I before sighing, "you know, I appreciate it, Tripp. I do. There's just a lot of stuff going on."

"Okay, I can take a hint. Call me if you change your mind."

"I will. I will– congratulations."

"Thanks, man. It was nice meeting you," Tripp said to Dan and shook Nate's hand once more before leaving.