Chapter 30 // "I can't be with you."

Chapter thirty; "I can't be with you."
・・✿・・

・・✿・・Spotted: Riley Hayward in a mess of trouble

・・✿・・
Spotted: Riley Hayward in a mess of trouble. Who's that next to you, princess? Is it who we all think it is?

Upon receiving the update, Nate grabbed a cab to the same club Riley was last seen. Since the person's face next to her wasn't clear, he assumed they were familiar with gossip girl. He was worried it could've been anyone one of her favorites– which were, in fact, the elite's worst enemies.

He snuck in through the back door, then slyly walked around to see if the brunette was here. However, after fifteen minutes of looking around, he sat down at the nearest bar.

Several calls and messages were sent to Riley's number, but she hadn't answered or checked them. This started to worry Nate, since she almost always answered right away.

"Nate?"

Mika furrowed her eyebrows at the sight in front of her. She may be drunk, but she was still there. Sort of.

"Hey, Mika," Nate stood up from his seat instantly, "I was looking for Riley. Was that you with her in the picture?" He pulled up the update that Gossip Girl just posted.

"Yeah– it was. Are you trying to look for her?"

"It sounds crazy, but–"

"Because she's with Jacob right now."

"Wait, the older guy?"

"Her nurse, yeah–" Mika took a second to sit down next to him. "She wasn't having fun here and after all that drinking.. Riley realized her true feelings for him."

True feelings? Nate squinted his eyes. He recalled Riley talking to him about Jacob, but that didn't make sense after their kiss in California.

"I know it's hard to make sense of everything. But no offense.. Your friendship doesn't have any sense."

"What?"

"Riley told me about you guys kissing back in Long Beach.. Right after that, you ran back to Blair. Then you broke up with Blair, ignored Riley, found this girl Vanessa– now you're going back to Riley? I'd say it's a pretty messed up situation."

"Well, now I know what I feel for Riley. And she's who I want to be with."

"Nate. It's just high school right now. We're hormonal teenagers who don't know what's the difference between commitment and fun. I honestly just think you're confused right now."

"No–"

"Besides.." Mika shrugged her shoulders, "you're not gonna want to be in between her and Jacob right now. Do you? She likes him."

He bit his lip as an attempt to calm himself down. Defeated, Nate locked his phone and sighed.

"Just.. tell her I wanna talk to her, okay?"