Chapter 17 // "This is family business."

Chapter seventeen; "This is family business."
・・✿・・

" ・・✿・・

・・✿・・

Long Beach, California

"In various attempts of suicide, almost a year in solitude for aggressive behaviors, and pleading guilty to earlier court cases– Kai Rivers officially transfers from California State Prison to Saint Ralph's Psychiatric Ward. There, Rivers will spend the remainder of his life being treated for his insomnia and psychotic behaviors. In no way will Rivers be offered parol or early release. No visits from family or friends will be accepted, the only tolerable form of contact will be through phone call at the facility on their recorded line. Case dismissed."

Kai stood up from the chair, his feet and hands tied down with chains, and moved towards the back of the room to get into the patrol car. The three armed security guards were leading him out.

"Excuse me," his father sighed. He stopped Kai to say a few words to him, "listen, son. If you comply with the therapists and doctors there, we can work something out with lawyers to let you free. Forever."

His mother came from behind, putting a hand on her husband's shoulder.

"Kai, we can't see you at the ward. We can only take calls– please, be good."

"Okay," he nodded his head and the security guards pushed him forward.

The drive back into the prison where Kai was released from his shackles and into a private room with his soon-to-be ex-therapist, Dr.Hillgard.

He was an old man known for his famous breakthroughs with serial killers and schizophrenic patients. However, he couldn't get past Kai's mentality before leaving.

"Mr.Rivers, I'm glad to say that you'll be in a better place for your mental health," Hillgard tried to grab the boy's attention but his eyes stared into the table.

"It's a shame that we haven't made progress together, but I will continue to see you in your new home. Just not very often."

Kai swallowed the lump in his throat, "I would like to make a request."

Hillgard was taken back. In all of their sessions, Rivers would never respond. His eyes would seep into the metal table every time. He would spend an hour staring as Hillgard continuously made conversation to get something out of him. Other than grunting, sighing, exhaling or inhaling, the doctor had never heard him talk.

"I would like to make a request. I need to write a letter."

The doctor took this opportunity to gather intel, "for whom? If I may ask?"

"My fiancé," Kai looked up. "My fiancé, Riley. She's waiting for me."