Chapter 20 // "I want to be with you."

Chapter twenty; "I want to be with you."
・・✿・・

" ・・✿・・

・・✿・・

Riley's Point of View

My sister and Mika excused themselves from the room when my parents walked in with a marriage counselor. The adults were consulting the legal actions of the engagement, I only listened to the important parts. To summarize, since I was under 18-years-old, my parents needed to grant permission to the courts for the marriage. Moreover, I didn't have a marriage license, therefore the court had the power to nullify the engagement.

The only problem was that Kai still had the decision to sue us or come up with a publicity stunt that will drag me down with him. My mom and Dad agreed to fly out to California with the marriage counselor next week to nullify the document. I asked if it was possible to do it without me, but they needed to have my signature and finger prints on some papers.

To prevent any future problems that Kai may devise, Dr.Hillgard suggested his parents should be notified of the situation. Parents are a key influencer to all children's morals. He had hope that they would convince him to stay sane.

"I'll notify the Rivers family," My mom got from her seat to take the call. Slowly, one by one, everyone started to leave the room.

The meeting was adjourned. Kai and I's engagement would officially be called off after the court case next week.

Jacob knocked on the door before opening it slightly– once he noticed that they were gone, he asked to check my vitals.

"How are you feeling?"

I smiled, "good, how are–"

"No, don't give me that boring answer," he laughed and wrote down something on the clipboard, "How do you feel?"

My grip on the hospital sheet loosened. The past weeks were filled with guilt, anxiety, frustration, desperation– for once, I felt hopeful and relaxed.

"I'm feeling better. Happier than I have the past month."

He read out my health status before replying back, "that's great to hear. I can tell you're not lying because you're genuinely smiling."

"It's my talent to fake smile," I laughed, "but really. It's good to feel like my old self again."

Sitting in the hospital bed all day gave me bed sores; also, sitting in a quiet room almost drove me delusional. Jacob would take me around the garden, hallways, and lounge area to stretch my legs. He'd also play memory games with me to keep my cognitive ability up. Because we've spent so much time together, we also became close.

His background reminded me of Dan, except there were various differences. Jacob's family traveled illegally to give him a better life. Being the only child, he was always set to strive for a successful future. With the support of his parents, he was able to push through life and become a nurse. However, upon starting their move from Arizona to New York, his mom and dad were decided to go back home.