Chapter 59 // "When is life ever so easy..."

Chapter fifty-nine; "When is life ever so easy..."
・・✿・・

" ・・✿・・

・・✿・・

Nate picked up Riley's hand and intertwined his fingers with hers. He held onto her tightly, looking at her sleeping.

"Nathanial.."

William paid a visit to her as well, bringing some flowers. He sighed loudly when he saw Riley.

"I'm sorry for your loss."

"She's not dead yet."

"I'm sorry you have to go through this. It's not easy. I've been through these types of situations with your grandmother," William placed his hand on Nate's shoulder, "Nate, you know I'm willing to do whatever it takes to help family. Riley is family."

Nate picked up his head and faced his grandfather quickly.

"Your mother told me about what you said. About wanting to marry Riley one day. She said you were serious about it," William chuckled a bit, "if you are, then it won't kill me to start treating her with kindness. Whatever happens– I'll protect the both of you."

William smiled before leaving the room just as Serena came in. She gasped– seeing as it had been awhile since she last Riley.

Serena placed her hand on Riley's forehead, "why did this happen to you?"

Carter came along with her. He was holding a small balloon with a teddy bear attached to it. When he saw Nate, he gave a small smile.

"You might not want me to be here–"

"You're still her brother. You have the right to be here."

Nate stepped out for a bit to give them more privacy. Riley was just as important to Serena as she was to him. When he did, Dan was just on his way in.

"Hey, I was actually here to talk to you," Dan began to lower his voice, "the day of the incident, Riley sent me this weird message. It was just a bunch of documents and statements. I think she meant to send it to someone else."

"What? Why didn't you say anything yesterday?"

"I was trying to, but everyone started calling and hiring their lawyers, I was sort of pushed to the sidelines."

"Let me see that," Nate grabbed Dan's phone out of his hand to see what the text was. Which was exactly what Dan said. Just documents showing where money was coming and going.