CHAPTER 2- The Jones'

AMELIA

We've gone over two clients for the past three hours straight and my head is already killing me. We have the last client to present our plans to but they have not arrived yet. 

Apparently, Ace told us only today that this client is a big account. From what I heard, he's a big shot in the music industry that I know nothing about. No wonder why there's an underlying pressure I'm feeling all day long. I'm confident about my work and my creative input for this project. However, the only thing that I'm not sure about is whether the client will like it or not.

As Jaz and I waited for the clients to arrive, we took a small break and brewed ourselves some coffee for an extra boost.

"Jaz, please tell me I'm not the only one who's exhausted," I said to Jaz as she sat on the seat with a scrunched face.

"Babe, I've been worrying about the horrors of those revisions that Mr. Smith wants since he left the room. And for a time frame of seven days? Give me a break," She explained as she put both her palms against her face.

"I know you can finish on time Jaz. Plus if you need help, you know there's always Ashley and Mark to help you" I said. She lifted her head and stared at me. "Of course, myself included," I added and she deeply sighed.

"Well, we don't have any choice now do we?"

"No, we don't so we better suck it up before we lose our jobs." I jokingly said to lighten up the mood as I put a mug of coffee in front of her.

"How's Drake by the way." Crap. I forgot to tell her.

"Yeah, about Drake..." I paused for a long time, trying to find the right words to say that won't make my heart hurt. I frowned at the idea because I never really want to talk about it, but I guess this is the right time to tell someone about it, for now at least.

"Oh no. Babe, what happened?" She asked softly, touching my right arm.

"Well, Drake" I started, trying to hold every emotion as much as I can. "I caught Drake." I said as I look longingly into Jaz's eyes.

"Since when?" She asked.

"Three weeks ago. I didn't really want to talk about it though. Plus it's a good thing that we're bombarded with new projects. That way I distracted myself from that." I try to convince myself that it's going to be okay and not say anything because I never really wanted to feel anything.

"Mia, why didn't you tell me? I could've beaten his ass to dirt." She furiously said.

"It's fine Jaz. I was never really good at confrontation anyway plus I didn't have the time." I said.

"Let me guess, you two are still together?" She asked. She already knew what I was about to say next.

"He's staying for a week with me and then he's going to fly out to Chicago for a conference next week." I said shamelessly.

She let out a frustrated groan. As she was about to reply, I cut her off as I saw our last clients walk into the office, heading to the conference room.

"Let's talk about this another time. We got a client to impress." I said as I stand up from the chair and grabbed my mug and headed for the door. Jaz shortly followed behind me. I'm visibly shaking as I put my hands on the door handle. Jaz grabbed it for me as I mouthed her 'thank you'.

I greeted our clients lively. Married. Obviously in love, and wants to build their own home.

"Good afternoon, Mr. and Mrs. Jones. It's a pleasure working for you." I said as I approached them in a handshake.

"It's very nice to meet you, Ms. Johnson." Mr. Jones said as he shook my hand. He glanced at Jaz and shook her hand as well. "Ms. Diaz"

"We know that our future home is in good hands. We heard both of you are the most trusted architects in this firm, especially you Ms. Johnson," I blushed at Mrs. Jones' remarks.

"Please, Mrs. Jones, call me Amelia or Mia, whichever works. But thank you for the compliment. We're just doing our jobs." I said with a big smile.

"Just call me Peggy and my husband Quincy. We really don't mind formalities."  She said.

"Shall we start with the presentation?" Jaz asked and we all looked at her as I nodded, making my way in front of the whiteboard.

---

"The Jones' love your presentation!" Ace exclaimed as the Jones' left the office moments ago.

"Really?" I think we already knew that. The couple is really invested while we were explaining their future home as they send big smiles every now and then. I glanced at Jaz who has a half but genuine smile and I can sense that she is already drained as I am.

"Did they tell you anything before they left?" Jaz asked Ace.

"They didn't tell me anything other than how you guys are fantastic. They said they'll definitely recommend you guys to their friends who might be interested." Ace explained, his big smile still plastered across his face. Lucky for him he doesn't have to do the hard work.

"Oh yeah, I almost forgot. What's the news that you're dreading to tell us?" I said as I approach the seat near his office desk.

"Maybe I'll tell you on Monday. You guys already had a long day. You deserve the break, but expect a shit ton of work on your desk by then..." He said and proceeded to look at Jaz, pointing a finger at her. "... especially Mr. Smith's revisions. We have to submit that by the end of the week to the construction firm for approval." Jaz groaned loudly in between her hands as her exasperated face says it all.

"Ace, can't you just give it to others? I mean I mostly did all of the plans on that, why do I still need to do the revisions?" she questions with an annoying tone.

"The more reason you should be the one revising those since you know it from scratch!"  Ace said as he's raising his voice in frustration.

"Okay, everybody time out," I said as I put both hands in front of their faces. "Everybody take a chill pill. Let's call it a day, go home, and relax. We'll just discuss this when we get back on Monday." I said as I looked at both their tired faces.

"Which reminds me Ace, we need to discuss also something on Monday, and it's urgent" I added.

"Very well then. I'll see you both on Monday. Apologies for my behavior Jazmine." He said as he grabbed his suitcase, waiting for Jaz's reply.

"I'm sorry, too. We all had a long day so let's just go home." Jaz said and grabbed the door handle. She exited his office and I followed her back to my own desk.

We said our goodbyes at the building lobby as I head out to the parking lot. I fish the keys to my car and unlock it, putting my handbag and my plastic tube containing the plans on the passenger seat. I sighed and looked at myself in the rearview mirror. Definitely not a cute sight to see. There are only a few hours until the countdown of me being awake for twenty-four hours. I started the engine, slapped myself, literally, to wake myself up and not run anyone over.

I parked in front of my apartment complex, locked the doors of my car, and headed upstairs. I unlock the door to my apartment as the cold and dark room greeted me and reeled me in for slumber.  There is no exaggeration when I tell you how much I have missed my bed. I mentally smiled at the view of my precious bedroom and the minute I lay down, I'm practically knocked out.