CHAPTER 26- Confused

AMELIA

One word with one look was enough to send my heart on overdrive. The look in his eyes was enough for me to at least tear one brick from my wall off for him. That one word that held such gravity that neither my mind could comprehend yet stirred a violent emotion from my heart. His glistening eyes were doing the talking even though he just uttered one word.

Stay

"We can't possibly stay here Michael. We can just hop in a cab," I looked into his eyes.

"Sure you can, Mia. We have extra rooms here that you can crash in," Janet chirped in and appeared on my left side.

"It's not even raining that hard, we can catch a cab somewhere," I replied.

"Not that hard? Mia, it's practically storming outside. We can't let you and Jazmine walk out in that weather," Michael followed.

I sighed heavily, knowing that Michael and Janet are right. Looking out the window, the heavy downpour mixed with lighting and brisk blowing of the winds makes it dangerous to even step out the front porch. I faced them again, both had hopeful faces that I would accept their offer.

"As long as it's okay with Mrs. Jackson, then we'll stay," I said.

"You can stay as long as you need to, honey," a voice said behind me. When I turn around, Mrs. Jackson is already walking towards us with Jaz behind her, carrying the remaining dishes.

"And please, call me Katherine. Mrs. Jackson doesn't do well for my age," she laughed and we all giggled softly.

"Is it okay if we crash for tonight, Katherine?" I asked her again.

"Of course honey. Besides, it's too dangerous for the both of you to go outside," she approached me and touched my arm.

"Michael, show them their room. Janet, give them some spare nightclothes. I'm sure you're all the same sizes," Katherine instructed her children and they politely nodded by their mother's orders.

"Thank you so much, Katherine," I politely replied.

"Make yourselves at home," she said to both Jaz and me as she walks out of the kitchen, leaving us four.

"Well then, let me take you guys to your room," Michael spoke.

All of us ascended to their beautiful wooden staircase that gives a great view of the living area below. Even if I did walk through these halls earlier, I still feel like I'm being invasive of their space, considering that we're only guests and just crashing for the night while we let nature calm down.

Janet parted ways as she went to the west side to collect the spare clothes she has for us to borrow while the three of us; Michael, Jaz, and I went to the east side towards the room he'll let us sleep in.

Michael briefly toured us around the room, showing us the bathroom and the closet where we can freshen up and leave our bags. The bed was big enough for us to fit in so sleeping on the floor isn't necessary. The big arched windows made the room open and airy despite the boxy shape of it. Jaz's mouth was hung agape as she explores the beautiful room they humbly lend.

"If you need anything, don't hesitate to knock on my door or Janet's. We're just a door down to the left," he said as he pointed the two doors at the end of the hallway.

"Thank you for letting us stay the night. I promise we'll not disturb you, or your sister, or Katherine," I replied.

"Don't worry about that. It's my turn to return the favor," he replied and fixed his gaze on me for quite some time. I almost got lost in his eyes when a voice coughed at a distance. Our heads both snapped in that direction and saw Janet carrying the spare clothes she promised.