CHAPTER 44- Shatter

MICHAEL

"Michael, it's Mia," the panic in Bill's eyes escalated the worry I'm already feeling.

"What happened to her?" I leaned to the front of the car to hear Bill clearly.

"I'm still not sure, Steven just said that she's headed to Seattle. He's talking so fast I can't understand him,"

"Give me the phone and dial his number," I waited for the phone to ring and a frantic Steven answered the phone.

"Hello?"

"Steven, it's Michael. Where's Mia?" I quickly asked.

"Uhh-" he began to mutter.

"Steven, just tell me what's going on," I slightly raised my voice in worry.

"I'm sorry, Mr. Jackson. I know you gave me an instruction to be back at Hayvenhurst with Ms. Johnson after her work but something important came up," he explained in frenzy.

"For her to leave for Seattle?"

"I had to let her go on this trip, Mr. Jackson. But don't worry, her friend Jazmine is with her on the flight," he further elaborated.

"What was something important for her to leave immediately," I frustratingly asked.

"I'm still not a hundred percent sure about this, Mr. Jackson but I heard that her mother might be in danger," he spoke and it immediately clicked that her mother was sick. It slipped in my mind but now I understand completely.

"She told me to tell you that she may be gone for a few days and that's it. They left for their plane," I pinch the bridge of my nose as I grew worrisome for Mia and her mother's safety.

"Did she tell you anything else?" I heavily sighed.

"Nothing else, Mr. Jackson. Although I was afraid for her," he mutters under his breath.

"Afraid of what?"

"She looks pale, and almost always out of breath. I can hear her friend constantly telling her to calm down as she breathes deeply. It's kind of scary 'cause that's the same look that I saw when Mr. Ray and I rescued her in her apartment that night of the...you know,"

"Yes, I know." I paused for a moment, thinking of a way to at least help Mia.

"Are you still there at the airport?"

"Yes, Mr. Jackson. Why?"

"Don't leave, stay there. We're flying to Seattle,"

"Copy that, Mr. Jackson. I'll be waiting by the gate," I hung up the phone and faced Bill with all seriousness.

"Can you do me a favor and call Mr. Greene? Please tell him that we need to fly urgently," I told him as he picks up the phone again, ready to dial.

"I'm on it," he continues to dial the number and I waited until he finished the small conversation. I grew impatient and started tapping my feet on the car floor without rhythm, very unlikely of me. My body is inside this car but my mind and soul are already racing towards Seattle. Every second that passes is like a wasted time that I cannot afford to buy back.

"Isn't he picking up?" when Bill shook his head no, I thought of another however we might get stuck in danger. All that is on my mind now is to leave immediately and be there for Mia.

"Why don't we take a first-class flight? Or even economy, whichever is available" I sported the idea to Bill and he seemed shocked with my proposition.

"But Mike, it's too dangerous for you to be-"

"Please, Bill. Mia needs me, I have to be there for her. I can't let another incident happen and I'm not there beside her to protect her," I pleaded to him and thought of my proposition quickly before coming up with a decision.