CHAPTER 15- Waiting

AMELIA

For years I have lived in a shadow of success. The bare minimum needs to always be the best, that's why I succeeded in this field I'm in. Being a perfectionist helped me to strive in a world full of hungry-driven individuals. But being that kind of person had relapsed into something unbeknownst to many that I would like them to steer clear from.

My life growing up was something I have never been proud of, though I'm thankful for the life my mother provided for me, but I was never proud of the decisions I made. My pride was too high to even consider the things that I want, and chase for the things that I thought I needed. I had high hopes for both of us. My mother and I wanted to live a life that is complete. With the love she has given me, I am almost complete. But there's still an empty space lingering somewhere I don't want to acknowledge.

Because of the things the reporters shouted towards us, the things that are buried six feet underground surfaced back again. The hurt and the pain I saw when my mom cried herself to sleep, longing for the person she needed the most. That day I swore that I'll do whatever it takes to give her smile back and that I did. It became a vicious cycle to prove to myself and to others, especially to him, that I can do better than him, ever since the day he rejected us. It cut my heart deep, but he cut my mother's heart deeper, and that is something I'll never forgive.

Hearing the vicious claims brought back the stories my mother used to tell me so dearly when she would mention what happened to them. I was furious to the point that I want to prove to him that he made the wrong choice.

And here I am now, bleeding once again yet still trying to piece myself back together, for the sake of the only person I love.

I quietly sat as the car moves towards our destination. I fiddled with my fingers as I stare outside the window. As I keep busying myself, I know and I feel that Michael's staring at me. I don't want to start a conversation at this time, not to mention the pain in my chest and my ankle.

A hand reached and grabbed my fiddling ones and stared at it momentarily. His hands are much bigger than mine but they fit perfectly, almost too perfect. My breathing heaves but I tried to conceal it as much as I can. Tears threatening to fall and I wiped them quickly with my clear hand and turn to him.

"Mia, I'm really sorry for what you've heard and for what happened" He pleaded with his eyes as they fall in mine.

"It's okay Michael. It's not your fault," I said and assured him with a smile. I pat his hand with my free hand and removes it, only to make his way down to my ankle.

"Does it hurt?" He spoke as he examined my slightly swollen ankle. He lifted it and turn it to the side to get a full inspection. I winced and hissed in pain and panic grew on his face.

"Michael don't turn it, it kinda hurts" I uttered.

"Do you want me to tell Bill to go to the hospital? You might have a sprained ankle" He panicked. He looks adorable even if wary is painted all over his face.

"I can handle a swollen ankle, Michael. An ice pack over this and I'll be good to go" I affirmed.

"Are you always this stubborn Ms. Johnson?" He spoke and raised his beautiful arched brow.

"Yes, I am stubborn. Do you have any problem with that, Mr. Jackson?" I challenged him and raised my brows as well. He's visibly trying to suppress his laugh and a giggle escaped from his lips. I dropped my stubborn act and giggled with him and felt yet another tightness in my chest.

The car halts at the backdoor of the hotel again, only this time the paparazzi are also present in crowds. His security team was quick to form a human barricade from the car to the entrance, making sure that we'll be blocked by anyone who might get us photographed, even though they already captured a lot in the lobby back at the airport.