CHAPTER 23- Invitation

MICHAEL

"Pardon me?" she said in shock. I took the long shot to ask her that since it's been running through my head when I heard that it's her birthday today. I want to repay the kindness she gave to me when she also did something unexpected on my special day. I didn't exactly want to snoop in her conversation with her friend, but I heard that she's going out tonight.

She has grown close to me ever since that day at the property. I cannot fully explain the feeling she gives me but it's divine. She makes me feel some type of way that I never knew I was capable of feeling. The incident last night made me realize that there's so much more to this woman to know, and I want to be there with her to do that.

This situation we have is complicated, and I know she's trying to avoid me. I can feel it. It may have started when she heard me on the phone with Brooke at the rehearsals. I pieced together what I know, and it all fits perfectly. She wouldn't just leave and not tell me if the relationship we have is strictly professional. I know she's affected by what she heard, but that phone call was harmless.

I understand that what she can offer me as of this moment are her kindness and generosity. I just want to return the favor and do something to make her feel better. From what I saw last night, her cemented walls are starting to crumble.

"Would you like to come over to my house? so you can see it in full detail," I nervously replied, hoping that she would say yes.

"I would love to, but I have plans for tonight," she frowned.

"Going out with a friend?" she furrowed her brows in confusion.

"Yes actually," she said. "How'd you know?"

I chuckled uneasily, "Just a guess,"

"Well, yes we're hanging out tonight. She insisted on treating me," Thank goodness her friend is a girl.

"I know this is too much to ask, Mia, but you can bring your friend, too." I shoot my shot.

"You're also inviting her? But what about the contract?" she furrowed her brow.

"What about it?" I replied.

"Don't you remember? No one must know that you're my client, or else I'll end up with a lawsuit,"

"Only without consent, Mia," I walked up to her slowly. I stopped in front of her, only inches away, "This time, you have my consent, so no lawsuit is coming your way," I stared at her beautiful brown eyes as she glues hers into mine. The connection between us is undeniable, but she has to let me in.

She cleared her throat and spoke, backing up a little giving us reasonable space in between.

"Why don't we reschedule for another day?" I slightly panicked because I don't want her to know why I invited her today specifically. She may not even know that I know it's her special day.

"Oh. I'm gonna be busy for the rest of my break and this is the only day I'm going to be free" I tried not to be suspicious.

"Are you sure we won't be a bother?"

"Of course not, I invited you so why would you think you'd be a bother?" I smiled at her reassuringly.

"Okay, -uhm, let me make some phone calls," she turned her back on me as she made her way to the phone. I deeply sighed and look at her in awe as I watch her get nervous while talking to her friend. I don't know what to do or give her. All I know is that I want to spend this day with her.

I let her be and went to the living room to wait for her.  There's a slight knock on the door and Steven peeped through.

"Mr. Jackson, Ms. Janet is on the phone, she wants to speak to you," he whispered. I quickly look back at Mia and she's still on the line so I nodded to Steven he gave the phone to me.