CHAPTER 38- Suspicious

AMELIA

Hearing a familiar voice will warm your heart, but it will definitely do more when that person is dearest to you. His sweet voice resonated all over the room and caught me off guard. And suddenly, this lifeless cube was painted in technicolor solely with his presence.

"Michael. What are you doing here? I thought you're on tour?" I said as I tried to sit myself up but I struggled. He rushed at my aid and helped me, grabbing the pillow and laying them vertically.

"Don't move too much. You need to rest," he said as he poured the water into a glass for me to drink.

"You didn't answer me..." I replied.

He sighed loudly before he spoke, "I was worried, Mia. I was practically losing my mind when I heard you screaming for help through the phone," he said as he sat down on the bed and caressed my hand.

"You heard everything?" my eyes drifted to the linen that's sprawled out over my lower limbs.

"Every single cry, Mia," I looked at him and his eyes are glossy as tears are threatening to fall.

"Michael, I'm okay now. Much better now that you're here," I said and squeezed his hand in affirmation.

"I was scared. I felt so helpless, I can't do anything 'cause I'm not here. I felt stupid because I can't protect my girl I-" I cut him out by caressing his face, wiping the now rivers flowing down his chiseled cheeks.

"Shh, Michael. Listen to me. I'm okay now, I'm safe. Don't worry about it okay? It's already done," trinkets of flashbacks from that vile night started coming back again. His tight grips around my arms embedded the disgusting deeds and it lingered repulsively that made me tear up as well.

Michael noticed my reaction but he didn't speak. He instinctively wrapped his arms around me and we both shared this moment in desolation.

"I'll make sure that he's going to pay," he whispered. "I promise you this," he said and kissed my forehead.

I felt safe in his arms, and I felt that no one could ever lay a finger on me as long as I have him on my side. The Amelia three months ago would never ask for anyone's help. But in Michael's arms, I became vulnerable, coming to a point when I risked my health for the feelings I have for him.

Even though there's a little elf on my shoulder whispering that I shouldn't rely on this feeling too much or it might end wounding me, I don't care at this point. What matters now is us.

"What did the doctors say? Did they tell you to drink any- uhm- medicine?" he asked. I instantly felt guilty about keeping my disease a secret. But I feel like he shouldn't know, at least not for now.

"Nothing, they said that I have to completely rest and hydrate well," I said quietly.

"Really? Not even the medicine you're taking?" my hand instantly went cold. How did he know?

"Medicine? What medicine?" I replied unsuspectingly.

"You know, for your asthma," I exhaled a breath of relief. I almost forgot that cover-up.

"Oh no, she didn't prescribe me anything but she said that I can go home once I finished this bag," I pointed on the IV bag hanging that's already half empty.

"There is no way I'm letting you go back to your apartment," he said and stood up from the bed, crossing his arms in front.

"But why not?" I asked.

"After what happened to you? I'm not letting you live alone now," he huffed.

"Well, I can stay at Jazmine's in the meantime," I suggested. He looked at me like he thought of an idea.