CHAPTER 29- Truth

AMELIA

I woke up to a light drizzle tapping on my window. I opened my eyes and it was darker than usual, a warning that heavy rain might follow. It's no surprise for us, Seattle has always been like this especially around this time of the year.

I flew here immediately in hopes of forgetting his sudden confession. My mind is still at the fact the Michael got suspiciously curious and asked if it's my medication that I take. I'm positive that he read the name of the medicine that is why I quickly snatched it away from him.

I did not reject him because of Brooke. Well, that's partially that reason. But I also did it because I'm scared of what might happen to me. I still want to live a life full of meaning, no matter the uncertainty. I want to give my mother everything that she deserves, and she deserves a chance to live. But I cannot do that if I'm sick and battling as well.

In order for me to do that, and to protect myself, I need to shy away from him as much as possible and just finish this project fast.

I made my way downstairs, following the appetizing smell coming from the kitchen. When I got there, Auntie Mary is already done cooking a simple breakfast since my mom is not capable of doing so.

I really appreciate Auntie Mary more than anyone else. She's been here when things got worse and she willingly lend a hand when my mother needed it the most. She's may not be a relative by blood, but I still consider her as one of my true kin.

"Perfect timing, honey. Sit down and eat. I know you went to bed last night with an empty stomach," she spoke as she puts down a plate of eggs and bacon on the table.

"I just didn't have the appetite to eat anything yesterday," I deeply exhaled.

"Why, honey? Is there something wrong?" she looked at me with her brows raised.

"Nothing. Work has been real eventful," I said as I hold my fork and started picking some food off of the plate.

"Well, you're mother told me that you're staying for three days here so you got plenty of time to rest," she replied. She puts the used pans and utenils on the sink cleaned the countertops.

"You eat up well honey. I'll go check on your mother, see if she's already awake," she said and finally left the kitchen, leaving me munching in silence.

For once, I've felt like everything will be okay, that everything is in it's own perspective boxes, just the way I like it. But I know that when I wake up from this dream, those boxes will come bursting right in front my face.

The way his hands fit perfectly on my face left me longing for his touch. It was just a brief second that left a longing imprint that I miss dearly. It's unhealthy for me to think this way, knowing that I might get caught up with his business with Brooke and trust me, I don't want to. It's not worth risking my health nor my life.

I held back because I'm still uncertain. And I can't make him feel something for me if he's still with someone. He might say these things now, but I don't have that assurance that he'll be saying the same things in the future. Not to mention with the gravity of his name and how it means to the whole world, it will be hard for me to enter his world where there is no guaranty.

I still continued to eat the contents on the plate until everything vanished. I walked towards the sink with my empty plate and washed it together with the pan and the utensils Auntie Mary used earlier.

I was deep in thought while washing the dishes when Auntie Mary called me, saying that I have a phone call.

Please, let it not be Michael.