CHAPTER 8- Apple Pie

MICHAEL

After the meeting, I headed to my many business affairs, wardrobe fittings, dance rehearsals, and some little charity events that I would like not be publicize. The week went by so fast I hardly ever had the chance to catch a break. I decided to call Brooke and see if she's free for the weekends to hang out.

I have known Brooke for years, and I can say that she has been a very good friend of mine. She's one of the very few people that I trust and I can tell her everything. She's seen me at my worst and she's been there when no one else would and I would be eternally grateful for her. That is why I'll cherish her for as long as I can be allowed to, even though I can tell that we're not on the same page.

I grab the phone beside my nightstand and see if she's still awake. I really want to make the best out of my vacation before touring again. None of my siblings are free. Mother and Joseph are not in town so I would rather spend it with her than anyone else.

"Brooke? You still awake?" I softly asked.

"Michael? Why are you calling this late?" I slightly panicked and glanced at the clock. It's 1:30 in the morning. Of course, she needs to sleep dumb head.

"Goodness, I'm sorry Brooke I thought you'd still be awake. I'll just call you tomorrow" I hurriedly replied. I was about to put down the phone when I heard a faint 'no' on the other line.

"No, Michael it's okay. What is it" She replied groggily.

"I just want to ask if you're free on the weekends. I would love to spend some time with you before I go on tour again." I shyly said.

"Michael, honey I would love to but I can't," My heart dropped. "I'm going away with my family over the weekends to Spain" Well, disappointed is an understatement.

"Oh it's fine Brooke, don't worry about it. I don't want to bother you. You might be planning this trip for a while. I hope you have fun there" I tried to sound enthusiastic but it came out as a pity excuse to sound sad.

"I'm sorry Michael, maybe next time? When you have your break? Or we can hang after your tour is done?" She replied.

"Sure Brooke, no problem. Now, go to sleep I'm sorry for interrupting."

"Okay, Michael. You better sleep, too. Goodnight" She said.

"Good morning, Brooke" I chuckled and hang up. I let out a long sigh. I can't say that I'm not disappointed but I understand. Calling in the middle of the night is also not appropriate to ask for a weekend getaway.

I laid my back against the headboard of my bed and stared into space. I'm really struggling to sleep nowadays but I try not to get used to it. As exhausted as my body can get, adrenaline keeps pumping through my veins that I tend to stay awake for as long as I could.

I glanced at the phone on my nightstand again and noticed the little card I asked for from Mr. Anderson.

Amelia Johnson
Architect/Designer
AAC Designs
594-6583

I guess this is the time for me to call. Knowing her profession, they're notorious for staying up late working after office hours. I'm just hoping she's not in deep slumber. I picked up my phone again, dialing the digits on the card, waiting for her to pick up. After maybe about four rings, the ring ended and a voice spoke.

"Hello?" She asked

"Hi, Mia. It's Michael." I paused, realizing that I called her nickname instead of her first name. "Is it okay to call you that?" I asked. I immediately remembered calling her the same in the office and mentally slapped myself.