CHAPTER 4- Favor

AMELIA

I was awakened by the rays of the sun peeking through the curtains. I glanced at the digital clock on my bedside table and a wave of relief flowed over me. I still have two hours to get ready for another hell week at the office.

I get out of my bed, not minding fixing it as I made my way to the bathroom. I was startled for a bit as I saw the reflection in the mirror. I look not as bad but not as good either. Starting a self-pity session before going to bed might not be a good habit. I headed for the shower to relax, dried myself off, and did my morning routine. I walked over to my closet to pick an outfit. I got lazy and did not shave my legs while I was already in the shower so I guess I'll wear pants again. I picked a gray mini checkered pants with a matching blazer, and a white undershirt tucked in. I let my hair air dry, grabbed a pair of black pumps and my everyday office bag, and headed out to the kitchen.

I looked at the clock near my door and I only have thirty minutes to go to the office. I'm still bewildered as to where that one hour and thirty minutes went that I didn't have the time to have another proper breakfast. I decided to just grab a coffee and probably a croissant at the nearby café. I grabbed my keys, my tube container housing all of the important plans, my office bag, and walk to the door. I made sure to lock my door securely before heading out of the complex to my car.

---

The elevator car stopped on the twentieth floor and I walked out. I pushed the glass doors of the office with a cup of coffee and a single bag of croissant in my hand and greeted Maria, who's behind the information desk, a good morning. I settled my things on my desk and scanned my eyes around the floor. Weird, most of my colleagues should be in by now.

I silently sit on my desk and devoured my mini breakfast while I wait for Ace to arrive. I suddenly got nervous thinking of this favor I want to ask of him. I shook it off because I don't want my nervousness clouding my judgment and babble nonsense in front of him.

I threw the brown bag previously occupied by my lovely cheese croissant in the bin and sipped on my almost empty coffee. I heard Maria said 'good morning' to someone so I turned around and saw Ace walking towards his office with a mug of his usual green tea.

I might take advantage of his time and talk to him since most of the people on the floor are not in yet, and it's too early for someone to face Ace, well except me.

I mustered up my pride and took a deep breath, hoping that this conversation will go as smoothly as possible. I don't want to pick my things from my desk and put them in a brown box by the end of the day. Losing a job is definitely not in my books, and certainly will not help me pay the damn bills.

I knocked on my boss' frosted glass door and entered as I heard him say 'come in'.

"Morning Mr. Cohen!" I said first, trying to at least be cheerful.

"Morning Ms. Johnson." Ace said as he sips his green tea. I made my way to one of the seats near his desk and sat down.

"Did you get Jazmine's memo?" I nervously asked but still remained slightly unfazed.

"Yes, I did. I got it from Maria when I came in earlier and she filled me in with the details. I hope her father will be okay soon." He said. I have no idea what that family emergency was when she said she couldn't join me. From what Ace said to me, her father might be a part of it.

"Oh, I didn't know that. Thank you for telling me I'll make sure to give her a call later." I replied.

"Make sure to do that Amelia. Now, tell me why you're really here." He said as he leaned both of his forearms on his desk and clasped both of his hands, his eyes looking at me intently. I gulped hard and look down on my already sweating and slightly shaking hands. My heart is pounding irregularly which I feel is a bad sign.