CHAPTER 49- Years

STEVEN (CHRISTMAS, 1988)

I flew overseas with Mr. Jackson after his short vacation from touring. It hasn't been long since Ms. Johnson's accident, which confused me for a while since she never returned to Hayvenhurst and I never saw her again. It has been a scary moment for me when she fell unconscious right in front of my eyes. It has also served as a lesson for me to learn first aid responses if such a circumstance arises again.

Mr. Jackson resumed his tour in Japan and I was tasked to do the same job wherever I go: secure his perimeter and anyone that will go near him. That's why I have to stay close to him at all times. He was intimidating at first but Mr. Jackson is an ordinary guy like everybody else, except with status and popularity.

He had a tour date on Christmas Day, and his energy had been dwindling every night since we began traveling. On the drive to the stadium, he was unusually silent. You can hardly communicate with him, and he frequently spaces out. I've had to tap his shoulder a few times to get his attention. It's as if he's simply pushing himself to finish the show, but then he's back to his usual demeanor.

To state the obvious, I believe it has to do with Ms. Johnson's inability to return or even visit. When Ms. Johnson wants me to drive her someplace or if Mr. Jackson insists on protecting her, I am the man in charge. That's why I notice his change of attitude.

It's just a wild guess, but it's not difficult to see how that may be the case.

---

ACE (SPRING, 1989)

Ever since Amelia's accident, which scared all of us at the office, I gave her the whole month of December to rest and recuperate. But, of course, if she needed more time, I would willingly give it to her. However, the projects are piling up, not to mention her biggest project to date: Mr. Jackson's ranch.

To my astonishment, Mr. Jackson and Mr. Anderson, his lawyer, came into my office in January to pull out the project. He said that he won't be needing any of our services, including Amelia's. I was surprised, to say the least since I thought that things are going well between them. But I guess I was wrong.

I granted his wish since it was included in the clause of the agreement that Amelia signed, that Mr. Jackson can forfeit the project anytime if he wished to, no matter the reason. Although he did not say why, I still approved of his request and bid him the best of luck for his future endeavors for his home.

What baffled me the most was Amelia's arrival in the office one morning in May, handing a resignation letter. When she gave me the solitary piece of white paper, she had this grief in her eyes hidden underneath a smile. Jazmine, of course, accompanied her, and both of them wore this solemn expression.

I kept convincing her to stay and take a break for as long as she needed. I can't afford to lose one of my best colleagues in my company. She helped me build my company's reputation and she's the prized gem of this firm.

However, to her much insistence, I eventually agreed. After seeing her like that, I think she needed to take a break from this world. Her excellence in this field is unmatched, but I believe it would be best to look after herself first before other matters.

---

JANET (SUMMER, 1990)

When Neverland Ranch first opened its gates, Michael wanted to play water balloon fights immediately. He invited Macaulay Culkin over and we would form this group to play against our cousins. We would run around and use the whole ranch as our battlefield.

Every time the games were over, and some of us are soaking wet, he would always sit underneath this tree near the pond. For a while, I thought he just chose that spot to rest after a tiring match because the amount of shade is great and the wind is relaxing. But whenever the games ended over a few times of playing it, we see him walk and sit to that same spot.