CHAPTER 42- Anxious

AMELIA

When life doesn't get any more stressful, it throws in more work to make it even more interesting, to say the very least. I've been working non-stop ever since I got back to Hayvenhurst. It's harder to manage my task since I'm not in my usual workspace. That worn-up drafting table at the office keeps my creativity going.

But yesterday, I have been summoned by Ace and Jaz to come back to the office because they needed a pair of extra hands for their next project. Since I am the head architect and the senior designer, it's natural for them to ask for my opinion on matters that they're unsure of.

Everything is so sudden that's why I haven't told Michael yet that I was leaving this afternoon. I am glad that we've been able to spend some quality time since I got back, but I have this hunch that he's not telling me something. I've caught him spacing out multiple times, always thinking about something serious I assume. If not that, I would see him discussing something with Bill secretively. Even if it's none of my business, I can't seem to shake off this worry for him.

As we finish our lovely lunch courtesy of Katherine and the desserts of Janet, Michael and I walked outside the garden to get some fresh air. Then I decided to tell him about my errands today.

"Michael?" I called out.

"Hm?" he hummed.

"I know this is last minute, but I have to go somewhere this afternoon," I relayed.

"Really? Where?" he asked curiously.

"Just at the office. Jaz and Ace needed a hand for the latest project they're handling. While I'm there, I figured I could finish some work for the ranch as well," I explained but he stayed silent, seemingly thinking about something.

"I'll ask Steven to drive you there," he told me straightforwardly.

"I can drive myself there, Michael," I told him and held his hand, which made me shiver because it's cold.

"Mia, please. Steven will be there so you'll be safer. You'll never know when the paparazzi will swarm you,"

"But Michael-"

"Just do as I say, Mia. Please!" he slightly raised his voice that shocked me. He never yelled when he's angry or frustrated, so I was startled when I witnessed this new demeanor of his.

"I'm sorry, my angel. I didn't mean to scream at you," he said as he pinches the bridge of his nose and sighed deeply. "There's just been a lot of things in my mind lately," he further explains.

"I understand, Michael," was all I can say as I offer him my embrace to ease his troubled mind. He gladly accepts and his arms snaked around my waist and pull me in tighter.

"I'll let Steven drive me. I'll be okay, I promise," I whispered in his ear and kissed his temple as he buries his face on the crook of my neck. Maybe guilt enveloped him that he had to apologized multiple times.

"I'm so sorry, Mia,"

"Don't worry about it, I totally get it where you're coming from," I rubbed his back in assurance.

"Are you going home late?" he asked.

"I'm still not sure. But I'll let you know once I get there,"

"Alright. Just be safe, okay?"

"I will," I said and broke off the embrace.

"Well, I don't have much to do so I'll probably spend the day in the studio," he quietly said.

"Okay, but don't tire yourself too much. Take breaks please?" I replied and he just nodded.

"I'm going to pack some plans upstairs-"