CHAPTER 48- Letting Go

AMELIA

The waters of the lake made a ripple as some of the leaves of the surrounding trees fell and the chilly wind continued to gust around the ranch. The sun cascaded beautifully over the terrain as it continues to slowly hide behind its grand curves. I could get used to seeing this serene place every day.

I hug myself tightly with a corduroy jacket underneath a black turtleneck sweater. I should've worn a much thicker material of clothing if I've known that it would be freezing out. It's suspiciously cold it's almost comforting yet unbearable.

The cool, crisps winds began to flurry that it almost swept my feet away. A pair of arms wrapped around my waist from behind that caused me to plant my foot solid on the ground. His warmth together with his minty and musky scent brought solace to this empty notion I'm feeling.

"You smell nice," I slightly turned my head to tell him but he looked back at me with an upfront smile.

"I know," he returned a smile but it quickly disappeared, causing me to question his sudden indifference.

"Are you okay, Michael?" I asked as my brows naturally scrunched in slight confusion.

"You're cold huh?"  he returned the question as he removed the red blazer he once lent me. He put it over my shoulder and squeezed the side of my arms, almost as if he's trying to say something.

He kissed my temple longingly, basking into the quietness and solitude, as we stayed like that for as long as we can. None of us dared to speak a word, not even utter a single sound. The slight ripples from the pond and the rustling of the trees carried the warmth and tenderness of this cold, breezy day.

"What's wrong?" I spoke, trying to get his attention.

"Nothing, my angel,"  he whispered in my ear as he tucked a strand of hair behind it. When I turn around, the rays of the sun setting fell perfectly on his face, accentuating every beautiful feature everybody is dying to see up close.

His eyes glisten brightly, even if it's hiding behind something I cannot decipher. He touched my cheek that voluntarily made me smile. When he returned that smile I was looking for, something stirred inside of me as my eyes also glistened with joy, knowing that I am lucky to have a man like him by my side. To protect me and care for me that no men that came into my life did.

This feeling I feel, it's more than just infatuation. My heart is pouring over but I cannot put it in words. I feel confused and I feel terrified. Still, I feel safe with the thought of him being here with me.

"What are you thinking," he asked me softly, caressing my cheek every so lightly.

"I just-" I stopped and thought of the right word to say.

"What is it?"

"I think I-" Should I say it? The fight between my head and my heart needs a referee, for I cannot choose who will win.

I stuttered, looking like a fool in front of the person I trust the most. My lips began to tremble as the wind was getting uncontrollable. Tiny little specks of ice began to fall onto my nose that startled both of us yet it seems like it didn't faze him.

Snow? It rarely snows here.

"What are you trying to say, my angel?" his heart-warming smile gave me the courage to let the heart win.

"I think I-" I paused, reevaluating the move that's risky enough to take. I tightly closed my eyes and prepared myself for the deal-breaker.