CHAPTER 22- Breakfast

AMELIA

When the night awoke me, I had a hard time going back to slumber. I tossed and I turned but still ended up with eyes wide open. This always happens on a specific day that I don't want to remember. Instead of sulking, I walked towards the corner of the room where some of my plans reside and bury myself in work. For some time, while reading some important paperwork, my lids began to become heavy, and ended up falling asleep in the process.

I woke up to an inviting smell lingering from outside. When I shot my eyes open, I'm still holding the papers I'm reading from last night and plans are scattered all over the floor. I stood up and followed the scent and found Michael cooking in my kitchen.

"Good morning, Mia" he's still here?

"Morning," I stood there confusingly, leaning on the kitchen island.

"Sit down, I hope you eat french toast," he pointed on the plate with the food already set on the table.

"I thought you already left. I didn't expect you to be holding a spatula," I giggled as I sat in front of this mouthwatering meal.

"I just can't leave without saying a proper thank you," he looked my way and winked that made my heart skip a beat. As I scan around his work station, I noticed that none of the contents on this plate are available in my pantry or fridge.

"Michael, where did you get the ingredients to cook this? Did you go out?" I asked.

"And get tackled by a bunch of reporters?" he chuckled and returned to his cooking. "I asked Steven to buy a couple of stuff for me, he's currently enjoying his plate in the car." I quickly looked at him in awe.

I stared at my beautiful food and my mouth started to water. Neither I can prepare a decent breakfast like this myself since I'm so used to drinking coffee and eating nothing.

I took a bite out of the toast, ditching the utensils on the table, and started munching down on it. It took me three bites to give my compliments on his wonderful cooking. When I was about to, his chocolate orbs are already on me, ignoring the food in front of him.

"Sorry, it's just so good," I saw him blush a little. He really is cute when he gets shy.

"Thank you. It's one of my specialties." he paused, "Well, it's the only thing I can cook," I giggled at his confession and he decided to eat as well.

We're having a great time, engaging in small talk whilst finishing our food when the phone from the kitchen started ringing. I excuse myself from the table to answer it. Surprisingly enough, I expected her to call me, but not this early.

"Amelia, you know what day it is right?" she excitedly said when I picked up the phone.

"Yes, Jazmine. I know. very clearly," I replied.

"You had that dream again didn't you?" I just exhaled loudly. I felt my heart tugged and hurt slightly as I recall the scenes vividly running through my head.

"I wish I hadn't, it kept me up all night."  I rubbed my tired face with my free hand.

"Well, we can go outside if you want to. My treat for your special day," she offered. On cue, he entered the kitchen carrying empty plates and glasses.

"Is it okay if I clean the plates? I don't want to leave it messy. I also already cleaned the table for you," he said as he put the items in his hands on the sink.

"It's okay, you can leave it there I can wash the dishes later. Thank you for helping, I'll be right with you in a second," I said to him.

"I insist. It's the least I can do for letting me stay here,"

"Fine, if it's okay with you?" he nodded and mouthed 'of course'.

"Mia? Mia, who's that?" I return the phone to my ear and almost forgot that Jaz is still on the line. She must've heard his voice.

"It's no one, Jaz."

"I clearly heard someone there, Mia, and you live alone." Jaz still kept on asking. I just simply cannot disclose that the biggest entertainer in history is now currently washing my dishes and cleaning my table.

I sighed deeply and answered so she can quit asking.

"My client is here, Jaz, okay?"

"Oooh, what's he doing there?" she cooed.

"It's a long story. I'll just tell you on Monday what happened,"

"What? We're not going out today? It's my treat, Mia." she whined.

"As much as I want to celebrate my birthday, I, unfortunately, can't. I have too much on my plate right now and I need these plans by next week so I need to rush," I said and heard her groan.

"Are you sure, Mia? I can come over and help you?"

"I can handle this, Jaz. And I'm sure you also have other plans as well," I replied with a clear hint of disappointment in my voice.

"Well, I actually cleared this day for you. I thought we could spend it together," Now I feel terrible. I have to think of a compromise to make it up to her.

"Tell you what, I'll try to get as much done throughout the morning, and then we can go out to dinner, just the both of us. How's that sound?"

"Okay, deal," she replied cheerfully.

"But it's still your treat," I jokingly replied.

"Of course, it's still your day," I giggled.

"I have to go Jaz. I'll see you tonight," I bid my goodbyes and so did she.

I hung up the phone, turned around, and found Michael leaning on the kitchen doorway. He looked at me for a second and returned to his deep-thinking trance.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"Nothing. I was thinking of this design in my current home that you can use as an inspiration for your design," he replied, folding his arms together.

"Really? That's awesome! I can definitely use the inspiration now. Can you mail me some copies of the pictures of your home? If that's okay?" I politely asked. Any form of help that I can get, I'm willing to take if it means I'll finish this project as soon as possible.

"I was actually thinking..." He paused and then directly looked at me. I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion.

"Do you want to come home with me?"

***
a/n: My apologies if this chapter sucks. I'm trying to squeeze in chapters in between my classes to keep it going. It might take a little longer but better chapters are coming soon. Thank you! ❣️