CHAPTER 35- Spotlight

MICHAEL

The spotlight was always on ever since we were young, the same spotlight that would dictate our future. We will always get the applause, the attention, and the adoration both my brother's and my parents, most especially my father, craved.

The glittering lights are just the surface of what was empty underneath. After a long hard day of catering to the need of entertaining people, I always end up either alone in a hotel room or looking outside the window, wishing for someone to at least be there for me when I needed to.

However, tonight, the spotlight is on her, and she's the only light I see, the one who's got my utmost attention and adoration. But she's just no entertainment for me because she's the one who filled what's empty underneath.

She filled the void no one filled in for the last three decades. Women who went in and out of my life left and carry with them a piece of myself that they didn't know they took. The trust that I freely gave but they viciously snatched away from me.

That's why I tried to be hopeful and stood my ground to commit to someone that I didn't know would eventually turn her back on me. It gutted me, yet I stayed loyal to the idea of settling down and patiently waited for her.

Out of nowhere, Mia came and she constantly intrigued me until I was unaware that I already fell, hard.

Her soft features and her loving eyes crazed my already shaken mind. The way her orbs sparkle against the moonlight elated something in me. My heart is leaping in pure joy because she finally decided to at least share a piece of herself with me, something that I longed for for many years.

I can see it in her eyes that she's still scared about this connection that we have and I cannot blame her. I've been a prey of the public since time immemorial but there's a scar deeper than what I can scratch on the surface.

It didn't matter at the moment because all that is important as of now is the fact we both just professed our feelings we held on to for a long time. The way she let herself go under my touch is enough for me to know that she did feel the same way. The fear in her eyes was swept away after our lips collided for the first time. It felt so heady and sublime to the point that no words can truly express my admiration for her.

She was the light at the end of the endless tunnel I'm traveling, and for once, I felt like I'm coming home.

"Did I already tell you how breathtaking you look tonight?" I whispered against her ear as we dance to the light sound of jazz music playing in the background.

"Why you already did, kind sir," she playfully replied as she flashed me the most priceless smile.

"I'll never get tired seeing your face," I told her and stared at her longingly.

"Really now?" she raised a brow at me.

"I'll never get tired of you," I sing-songed and earned a hearty laugh from her.

"You're every wonder in this world to me, a treasured time won't steal away," I sang as we playfully danced around the side garden, letting go of the troubles and doubts for a moment.

Suddenly, a clearing of throat distracted us as we both searched for the sound. We turned in the direction of the voice and saw Janet standing by the doorway.

"Dunk! I thought you're not attending?" I exclaimed as she made her way towards us.

"I am here now so you better explain what's going on," she demanded and smiled at the both of us.

I pulled Mia closer to me, "Mia is my girl now," I proudly said.

"Well, you didn't exactly ask me," Mia said as she playfully frowned, earning a slap on the arm from Janet.