CHAPTER 12- Check-up

AMELIA

The loud ring of the telephone woke my sleepy state with the blinding rays of the sun peeking through my curtains. I realized that I had fallen asleep on my desk, with my arms sprawled around the plans. I almost knocked out my coffee mug that is half-empty over the sketches I had drawn last night but my reflexes are luckily working and caught it in time.

I had pulled out an all-nighter for the project of the Jones' since they need my final revisions and approval of plans to continue the construction process. I had submitted the plans on time, but I get the feeling that I'm late in doing something.

I rushed to the telephone that's blasting the ringing sound all over my apartment.

"Hello?" I groggily said.

"Amelia? This is from Dr. Garner's clinic. I would like to remind you of your appointment today at two p.m" Emily said. I glanced at the clock and it displayed one p.m. Shit, I'm going to be late. The drive from my apartment to the clinic is thirty minutes. If traffic time is added, I'm really getting a buzzer-beater.

"I-uh-okay I'm coming. Thanks for reminding me, Emily. See you," I quickly said and hang up the phone. I ran hurriedly to the bathroom to take a quick shower and got ready in simple jeans, a sweater, and some casual sneakers. I also grabbed a jacket just in case it gets cold during the day. I head out to the living room where my bag is resting and grabbed an apple from the fruit basket resting on the countertop. I fished my keys from my bag, locked my apartment, and drove as fast as I can to the clinic.

Good thing there's a patient before me so I made it to the clinic in time. It felt a little nostalgic to smell the cleanliness of the halls of this building. Too nostalgic that I'm having flashbacks of distant memories I'd like not to re-live. I shook my head to forget the living images and made my way to the front desk of the clinic to greet Emily.

"Amelia, it's good to see you again!" She greeted me as she stood up to her chair and kissed cheek to cheek.

"Hi Emily, it's good to see you again, not for a good reason though," I said and smiled weakly.

"Has it become a lot worse?" She asked and I nodded in silence. She sighed placed her hand on mine.

"Everything will be fine, Amelia." She assured.

"I hope so, too, Emily," I replied.

"You can sit down there and wait for your name to be called," She said with a smile and I made my way to the waiting area. I settled in and nobody was around except for a mother and her child who's quietly playing with her doll. She looks weak, but her eyes are sparkling. I got sad as I imagine her having the same sickness as mine. She still deserves to live longer and see the beauty this world has to offer. She's too young to suffer like me.

I didn't realize I was staring at her when her piercing blue eyes met my chocolate ones. She innocently smiled at me and I paid her a smile back. She went back to playing with her doll and I just deeply sighed.

Dr. Garner's assistant called me and I entered the room. I saw a familiar face that greeted me with a kind smile.

"Long time, no see Ms. Johnson. How are you?" Dr. Garner said as she approached me with a handshake.

"I'm doing quite well doc, thank you," I said and received the handshake.

"So, how are feeling? Are the symptoms back again?" I nodded to her and she went back to her chair and grab her stethoscope.

"I feel like it got a lot worse doc. The chest pains are getting unbearable," I replied to her as she started to examine me.

"Chest pains?" I nodded. "Any dizziness, light-headedness, shortness of breath?" She asked.