CHAPTER 45- Time

MICHAEL

With each passing day and as weeks crawl by, she stacks her walls much higher than when I first met her. I remember her being stubborn because she likes to do things her way however, it always gets the job done. She perseveres to maintain this perfect image because she wants to be perceived as trustworthy and credible. I saw all of that, and I manage to get through to her and saw the real her; the most fragile flower I ever caressed in my arms.

But the rose that is so precious and perfect grew thorns that prick you if you don't handle it with care.

I saw the way she distanced herself from her world, even if she pretended to be working her projects and on my ranch. She lost weight, and the spark in her eyes that I see every morning when I wake up became dull and dreary. She greets me with the fakest smile at the breakfast table and climbs up the stairs with sluggishness after a meal.

I would find her almost asleep every time I peek at her room to give her an afternoon snack, a rare occurrence since she's the type of person to be awake all day because of her duties at work.

On some nights, when I really feel the need to give her an embrace, my feet get stuck in front of her door as I hear her faint cries that she tries to bury onto the pillow. In the morning, it's no surprise to see her puffy eyes and cheeks, and sometimes on failed attempts, she tries to conceal her swollen under eyes with make-up.

I can't imagine the pain Mia is feeling because I haven't lost a parent and the fact that she only has one her entire life makes it even harder for her to accept, even for me, to grasp the reality she's facing.

I saw how her mother really cared for her daughter, as she told me some stories when she was a child when Mia was busy cooking dinner for us. She really loved her only child, and she's willing to do everything for her. Sadly, she's not here to keep her promise, but I am here to fulfill it for her.

I vividly remember her kind words to me when I got a small amount of alone time with her.

"My Amelia, she's been through so much, she's been through many heartaches," she said quickly gasping for air as she reaches for my hand and gently held it, which I took.

"But you're the only one who I saw had real and pure intentions for her," my heart warmed with her kind words.

"Protect her, for my sake," she quietly said and I squeezed her hand gently and nodded, saying yes to a promise.

Her words repeatedly replayed in those sleepless nights that I worry for her. No matter what I do, or even make attempts to lift some weight off of her shoulder, she's putting it back to where it belongs. Now I have no idea what to do except to worry for her whole being, considering that she has an underlying condition she has yet to disclose to me.

It's unfortunate for me not to find her on the patio this morning but I already know where she is when she's not here. I took the path leading to the studio and found the door ajar. When I took a peek, a piano melody of a song I immediately recognized filled my ears. Her figure hovers the piano and the fingers on her right hand slowly press down the chords as she plays Ain't No Sunshine while she held her steaming coffee on her left.

As I eyed her from the padded door, I cannot help but still admire her for her beauty and resilience. It is still a hard time for her and that I do know, but I do not know how to help her in the littlest way I can. I am afraid that the help I offer can come off as invasive for her, and burdening her further is not my intention.

I slowly approached her as I snake both my hands around her waist, hugging her from behind. I rested the side of my head to her temples as she presses her back against my chest.