CHAPTER 40- Unknown

MICHAEL

The series of trees from outside the window was the only distraction I could find in a chaotic car ride on the way to L.A. Frank was dictating the timetables of rehearsals and business meetings while his this phones are ringing unendingly. I shouldn't be surprised that my ears would be bleeding from the excessive ringing and talking by the time we get there.

The once splendid sky turned more obscure. The light outside dimmed and the surroundings were embellished with all sorts of incandescent illumination. It reached up until the very top which tells us that we're already here in the city. Tall buildings began to surround us that made me feel little. Quite the irony for me.

We halted at the hotel's back entrance, a frequent practice we do to get inside safely. As much as I love to interact with my fans, I have no energy and strength to spare them.

Everything that is in me was depleted once I left Hayvenhurst. We didn't exactly part ways on a good note earlier because I can sense her desolation from inches away. She has this attitude of putting a polished appearance, but she's just as fragile as a flower whenever I look deeply into her eyes. I understand her predicament and her reason for leaving, I just don't know if I can stay away from her for just a minute.

Now I have to regain everything to give my best in a span of two days. It's difficult to put on a smile when you already know that it's only a mask. It's not entirely easy now to be back in the zone after all that happened to Mia. Her safety greatly concerns me and it should now be my main priority. In the back of my head, I have the agenda to imprison her ex-boyfriend in every way I can. I'll do everything to keep him away from her.

The cold empty room greeted me as I opened it and instantly felt nostalgic. I've been used to being alone in hotel rooms that it already became a part of me. The excessive amount of extra spaces on the bed felt like I'm being swallowed whole by white blank space, with no end to be felt. So I chose to lounge on the sofa and turned on the television.

The news anchor was ecstatic to report about the concert happening in two days. They displayed a video of a crowd that is patiently waiting outside the hotel. I felt bad because they might get sick because of the cold. I made a mental note to tell Bill later to give them hot beverages if they end up staying the night downstairs.

I ended up turning the television off since nothing is interesting to watch. The silence was peaceful for a quick second when my thoughts spoke louder each passing minute.

All that is on my mind was Mia. The things that she went through and the things she's going through. I know what happened that night wasn't the only thing that's bothering her. I'm still not entirely sure if what Janet and I found out is true. I just hope that it will not be past the point where it is possible to mend her when she chooses to tell me.

My loud thoughts were interrupted by a knock on the door. Bill peeked through and asked if he could come in.

"I have news, Mike," he said as he held the manila folder up where I can see.

"Is it about the case?" I asked curiously. He hands me the folder and I skimmed through every single paper.

"Yes. These are the police reports and the transcripts from his interrogation. He admitted to everything, surprisingly. But..." he hesitated to finish his sentence.

"But what?" I looked up to him, letting him know that he needs to continue.

"It's just unusual for me that he admitted his crimes freely. He didn't hesitate or anything of that matter,"

"He confessed?"

"Yes, but I'm afraid that he's not alone," Bill continued as I read the transcript of the interview. He did actually confessed to his sins since Bill and Steven caught him in the act. He admitted being under the influence of alcohol that night and that urged him to do what he did.