CHAPTER 25- Signals

MICHAEL

I nearly had my chance earlier if Jan didn't interrupt. I knew she's going to refuse my gift at some point, and I want to give her an additional present, but Dunk popped out of nowhere so I guess this may not be the right time.

We were busy discussing some technical matters for my home when someone knocked at my door. I wasn't expecting anybody and for sure I know Jan won't have any guests since she just arrived. It may be one of my brothers.

I looked at Mia and she's just as confused as I am. I walked towards the door and open it. When I opened it, a familiar face that I haven't thought of for quite a while is here standing in front of my door.

"Miss me?" she said and smiled from ear to ear as she goes in for a hug. I hugged her instinctively with a shocked expression on my face. Seeing her here is the least of my expectations. I nearly forgot about her ever since Mia came into the picture.

"Brooke, hi. What are you doing here?" I replied to her as I look at her face to face.

"Well to see you, silly," she playfully slapped my arms and proceeded to come inside. She's been here many times it's already normal for her to feel at home.

I worry about Mia's reaction when she sees Brooke. She's been my long-time friend, and probably too long. Often times I depend on my feelings for Brooke rather than choosing someone else who can and is willing to. Friendship is all she can give me after many times I've asked for her hand. But at this moment I finally realize and understand why the universe is against Brooke and me; because Mia is already here and I can clearly picture what it's like to have feelings be reciprocated.

Brooke stopped in her tracks when she saw Mia sitting in the living room. Mia became aware of her presence and stood up in courtesy. She smiled at her but I can tell that it's forced. She might already have an idea who she is.

"Michael, I didn't know you have a visitor. I can just come back tomorrow," she said and faced me.

"No Brooke, it's fine you can stay. You're already here anyway," I replied blandly.

We both made our way to Mia as she politely stood there to greet her. When we got near Brooke immediately introduced herself and gave her a hug.

"Hello, I'm Brooke. Michael's friend,"

"Hi, I'm Amelia Johnson. I'm his architect," Mia reached in for a hug also. As she pulls away, I noticed that she's having a hard time breathing and takes deeper breaths than normal. I looked at her with concern and she looked at me briefly. She slightly shook her head no as if she's saying not to worry about her.

"Oh, you're the designer for his home? That's really great," she exclaimed while facing me but I just gave a tight-lipped smile.

"Yeah, we were just talking about some things for the project. We don't want to fall behind schedule, I just need his insights and approval," Mia professionally explained. I really love watching her be in professional mode, it makes me appreciate her more than I already do.

"Hey, you two let's get to the-" Janet appeared from the kitchen and stopped in her tracks when she saw Brooke standing beside me.

"Janet, hi! It's good to see you again," Brooke approached her with arms wide open. My little sister is kind of hesitant to accept her hug but she did anyway, possibly out of respect.

"Hey Brooke, what are you doing here," Janet asked. I didn't mind their conversation and just ignore them. I turn to Mia and she's still wearing her gorgeous smile even though I know there's something more behind it.

I approach her to see if she's alright.

"Hey sweetie, you okay?" I immediately stopped talking when those words fell off of my mouth. It was just in my head but my mouth spoke too soon. It felt natural to speak it so I did. She's also taken aback by what I said and saw her widen her eyes. She cleared her throat before answering me.