CHAPTER 20- Safety

MICHAEL

Since I was little, I have been exposed to many scenarios through the business I was brought in. I was too young to understand and just followed what they dictated. As I grew older, I began to see the good and the bad, and the ugly side of this profession. From the tabloids to raging paparazzi, to reporters trying to slander my name. It's a chaotic world I live in and the welfare of my life is always on edge but I live and breathe to bring love, hope, and justice to this world that needs it most. However, it seems that the world doesn't want to reciprocate the feelings I'm trying to give.

But when Amelia told me to come with her, I felt safe in the arms of a stranger. Well, now she's no stranger to me. Somehow I felt that hope to have the warmth I was deprived of for years.

"How are we going to get to your car without getting mobbed?" I asked her and she turned around to look at me.

"It might not be the scenario downstairs but I don't think there's paparazzi outside," she said.

"Well, I guess you're right. Nobody followed us so no one knows I'm here,"

"Why didn't you wear one of those disguises?"

"It takes too much time to be in one. You know, with all of the prosthetics and stuff. Plus I want to see you already so..." I can see her cheeks getting red when I made that remark. Gosh, I love how I can make her blush just like that. But she's good at hiding it, I wonder if there is anything else she's keeping from me.

"Uhm, we're gonna use the back entrance of the building, just to make sure. The guard there already knows so he can help us," a slight panic began to display and Mia immediately saw.

"Don't worry, he doesn't know who you are, I just told him you're an important client," I sighed in relief.

The elevator car opened and no one else is on the floor except for some maintenance staff. We proceeded walking towards the back entrance and sure enough, a guard is already opening the door.
Mia thanked the guard and I just bowed with my face buried on the scarf, being careful not to be noticed.

There are a few cars in the parking lot but there's nothing alarming. She's opening the door of her vehicle when I sensed someone behind me. When I turned around, there's no one other except for a cat, some bushes, and cars. Maybe it's just my heightened sense of consciousness working, being publicly present without any form of security other than Mia's presence.

We entered the car and she drove in silence. The car radio is playing lowly as I stared outside the window. For a moment, I felt like a normal person treated fairly like everyone else. I don't normally seat on the passenger seat in the fear of getting recognized easily and getting mobbed in an instant. But her being with me, driving to her apartment like it's a mundane task, made this moment more memorable.

We were caught in red light and the car slowly halted. I turned to her and saw her close her tired eyes. She's visibly exhausted but pretended that she's not. And now she's kindly adopting me for the night until I can get my ride home.

When the light turned green, her eyes are already fixated on the road. We arrived in front of an apartment complex within minutes because the traffic is not that bad.

She got out of the car first and checked if there's anyone around. When it's clear, I went out and sprinted towards the door. She hurriedly locked her car and sprinted to open the door. Her apartment is on the second floor and we strode quickly.

Her place is quaint but it's complete with everything. I took a quick look around while I remove my scarf.

"Make yourself at home," she announced and I looked at her tired eyes.