CHAPTER 9- Attack

MICHAEL

I'm stunned. Surprised, to say the least. I never expected this from Amelia since we've only known each other for such a short time. She's still a stranger in my life and yet she's the only person who greeted me on my birthday other than my sister. Well, I never really celebrated birthdays, however, we celebrate them in a different way. But still, it guilts me to be happy for a while since I'm accustomed to not do anything on my special day. And yet here she is, trying to cheer me up with an apple pie.

I miss my family, especially mother. It's a shame that they're not here because they're visiting a relative in Alabama. My relationship with my brothers is not so perfect right now although we greet each other civilly. But my relationship with my sisters is okay, especially with Janet. She's the closest to me. She called me earlier this day and greeted me before I went to the inspection, saying she'll make it up to me when she gets back.

I haven't heard from Brooke though. But I'm guessing she's having a great time in Spain so I won't bother her. Besides, I'll be back on tour tomorrow so we may not have the chance to talk to each other for a long time. I guess I'll just leave a message before I fly out.

We said our goodbyes and I eye Amelia's car driving out to the gates of the property. I'm still holding the box of mini apple pie she gave me. She insisted on letting me have it because it's my birthday. I smiled as I look down at the item between my hands.

"An apple pie, huh?" Bill said as he walked beside me towards the car. "Perfect for you, apple head" he chuckled.

"Yeah. She's really nice don't you think" I said to Bill.

"She's really nice. I can tell. She cheered you up just like that. I like her already" He said as he winked at me and strolled to the driver's side of the car.

"Oh please Bill, it's not like that" I rolled my eyes as I open the car door.

"Now you have a birthday cake. Did you make a wish" He said as he eyed the box I'm holding.

"I did"

"What did you wish for?" He asked.

"Why should I tell you? Then it won't come true" I said. He just smiled at me and started the car and drove outside the property.

A smile was plastered on my face the whole car ride. I just hope my wish does come true.

We're on our way back to Hayvenhurst to gather the things I needed for my trip tomorrow then we'll head back to a hotel where the rest of the crew are staying so we leave on time.  As I was happily staring out of the window while the car is driving at a reasonable speed, I noticed a familiar car that I had seen earlier this day with a person wearing the same clothes, leaning against her car, crying. I turned to Bill abruptly.

"Stop the car."

---

AMELIA

My mind was in another dimension as I drive back home. I tried to plaster the most inconspicuous smile in order to mask the series of nerves shaking through every inch of my body as I enter my vehicle earlier and drove away. That may be the most spontaneous thing I have done to a stranger, most especially to a person whose name is screaming colors. I don't know what urged me to do what I had done but something tells me that he needed it at that moment, and I hope I had done something to make it at least bearable.