CHAPTER 37- Bad Omen

MICHAEL

Normally when I'm about to perform, I feel energized and excited for another chance to give back to my fans and give them the best show they would ever watch.

That's not the case today.

I barely sleep a wink the night before. The technical team has been having difficulties with the band setup. Some of the outfits are missing, and I've been having technical difficulties with my microphone throughout the show.

Needless to say that I'm beyond disappointed and dissatisfied by how the show turned out. Although the fans loved every single part of it, with the looks of their faces and ecstatic screaming, I, on the other hand, did not. It's like I'm being followed by a black cat today.

The team knew their fault and they promised me a perfect show next time. I get it, the shows won't always be perfect and there will still be errors made. I just don't like the feeling of disappointment just because I didn't put out a show that is beyond what was expected of me. My father would despise me.

Something in my gut tells me that my bad luck is not done yet, but I tried to keep myself in a positive state and not succumb to the mistakes made earlier today.

One thing that would relieve this is hearing Mia on the phone. I missed her dearly and I can't for the L.A tour dates since I'm going to be closer from home and to her. That way we won't have to stay up on late hours to talk because rest is both important for us, most especially her, after learning everything that Janet filled me in about her condition.

She called one of her friends, a doctor, and asked about the medication I saw Mia taking. I didn't mean to pry, but it worried me a lot, so I did the digging myself, with her help.

Turns out that everything Dr. Klein said to me was true, that she might have heart disease. But I cannot be certain unless I hear it from her. I'll just wait until the time comes when she's ready to share it with me.

Frank, Karen, and I loaded the van that would take us back to the hotel we are staying at. It wasn't a long ride but it became lengthy because of the fans blocking the road including the city traffic. Once we arrived, we said our goodbyes in the lobby and drifted ways. I didn't waste any time and scurried back to my room to talk to my one and only.

Seconds turned into minutes. Minutes turned into hours. I've dialed the same phone number at least ten times, on my count, yet she's still not answering. I am aware that she's going out with Jazmine tonight but I thought she would be home earlier than I expected.

I decided to call Bill since he's back home arranging personal matters that's why he didn't come with me on this trip.

"Hey, Bill. What's up?" I greeted.

"Joker! Glad you called. Do you need anything?" he replied with a little uncertainty in his voice.

"Oh, nothing. I just want to check on you," I said and twisted the curly phone wire around my finger.

"I'm doing well, everything is fine. Except for..." he paused, debating on whether he should continue the sentence.

"Except for what, Bill?" I nervously laugh, masking the slight agony already happening in my head.

"I don't want to scare you or anything like that, Joker. But I feel like something is not right," he heavily sighed.

"What is it?"

"You know Steven and I always pick Mia on Fridays, right?" I hummed. "And you told me she's going out with her friend,"

"Yes, that's correct," I said monotonously.