CHAPTER 28- Ill-Fated

MICHAEL

I just blurted it out. No more ifs or buts.

I won't deny that there's a spark between us since day one, I just didn't have the right explanation. I was always finding the right answer but it didn't come, not until the day at the studio. Somehow, without me knowing, the feelings intensified and I wasn't aware of what I was doing. I was what my heart insists me to do. This time, I didn't let my head do the talking, because if I do, I might lose the woman I see myself being with.

"Say that again?" She asked me as she turns around and faced me with a shocked and confused facade.

"I don't how, why, or when it happened but we both know that what nearly happened in that studio isn't just nothing," I said as I slowly approach her. She's in deep thought and knits her brows in confusion.

"Why me?" she whispered.

"Why not?" I grabbed the sides of her face to make her look at me.

"You've enthralled me the day our hands touched at the office, Mia. I knew something was there I just didn't exactly know what," I explained to her and saw her eyes are brimming with tears.

"We can't," she said as removes my hands and started walking in an opposite direction. I called out to her and quickly grabbed her wrist.

"What do you mean we can't?" I questioned.

"This— us. It can't happen," she said in a shaky tone.

"I am certain that you feel the same way Mia so why can't we?" I asked her desperately. She's the only woman who made me feel special and I don't want to lose her like this.

She was about to speak up when Steven called out at the back.

"Mr. Jackson," I turned around and saw him approaching with a phone.

"What is it, Steven?"

"It's Ms. Shields, she needs to talk to you urgently," he said and handed me the phone. I looked at Mia and she visibly got upset when I held the phone.

"That is why we can't, Michael," she spoke and walked past me. I watch her load the cart and drove away. The way her voice broke made me regret even taking the phone. If Brooke is the reason why
Mia won't open up to me, then maybe I need to do the right thing I should've done a long time ago.

"Brooke," I spoke.

"Michael, thank goodness you picked up, I need-"

"Brooke, stop. We need to talk. Meet me at Hayvenhurst later," I said nothing else and handed back the phone to Steven. I jog towards Steven's cart and jumped in the passenger seat and started it right away.

"Follow her. Hurry," I said he did as I told him to.

The cart swiftly passed through every bushes and trees and the sun is fading already. My car was parked near Mia's so I'm hoping she's still there.

When we arrived, the construction of the main house is still on going and the lights are already turned on. I saw her getting something from the backseat of her car and I approached her immediately. She was holding a bottle of water and another small bottle on her other hand.

"Mia," I spoke and held her shoulder. She jumped out of surprise that made her drop the small bottle she's holding, spilling some contents out of it. The item slowly rolled down since the land is sloping and I quickly followed to get it.