The Sword of Gryffindor

Luna's POV

The room stared at Neville. This was an almost impossible idea.

"He doesn't deserve that sword!"

Ginny's brow was furrowed. She paced across the room.

"This is big. This is really big. If it works, we've stolen a historical artifact. If it doesn't..."

"We can look forward to multiple detentions with the Carows." Neville finished. "And no McGonagall. But, I can't stand the thought of Snape with that sword."

"I don't know, it seems risky. When Seamus was taken, it was difficult, not being able to help. And this can't be downplayed as a prank, this is real revolution."

"We should do it." My voice surprised me.

"Ok then, we need a plan." Ginny told us. "And I don't mean like last time, when we had a general idea of what we would do, we need a thorough, and detailed structure. This is bigger than anything we've done before. We can't have everyone come, only people with specific roles."

"I won't ask any of you to join us. You don't need to help." Neville added.

"We'll start with, who's willing to help with planning." Ginny looked around the room.

Hands went up.

"Good, Now." a whiteboard appeared. It had a faintly purple glow. "This is what we know."

"Snape is keeping the sword in a glass case." The whiteboard drew it. "His office door is enchanted so Alohomora won't work, we need the password."

Inspiration hit me like a herd of Heliopaths.

"Can anyone perform a disillusionment charm? We could wait outside the gargoyle until someone says the password."

Susan raised her hand. "I think I can. I read about it in Modern Protective Enchantments and Wards."

"Good, can you wait outside when you don't have classes?" Susan nodded.

"Ok, what time will we do this?"

"I heard they're patrolling the corridors at night, but everyone will be down at the Great Hall at breakfast."

The plan was coming along as smoothly as a Plimpy's egg.

Susan had departed to watch the gargoyle, and we had a rough format worked out. Ginny, Neville, and I would enter Snape's office. Ginny would get the sword, I would look though Snape's desk to find anything useful, and Neville would be lookout. He'd close the Gargoyle if he saw anyone coming.

It seemed as though it could be ready the next morning. I was excited and scared at the same time. It felt like an Aquavirius Maggot was crawling inside my stomach. What if we got caught? I remembered the cruciatis curse. I didn't want to feel that again. No, I wasn't excited, I was flat out terrified. Terrified of Amicus and the way he looked at me. Terrified of Alecto and all the ways her twisted mind could think of hurting me. And terrified that we were making a huge mistake.

"Luna, what do you think?"

"Yeah, great. Wonderful." I wasn't entirely sure what I was referring to. My thoughts were confused and disoriented. I don't know if I want to do this anymore.

I drifted away from the group. A warm hand closed over mine. "Are you ok? You seem, distant and scared."

I didn't look at him.