Nick of Time

Neville's POV

"Neville?"

"Umm." My mind was racing. "Umm, soooo, well... umm, what?" I stuttered. "I don't know what she's talking about. Yeah, I love you as a friend, but-." Alecto interrupted me. 

"You're both so blind, it's amusing. But you see, I cannot let you take Ms. Abbot's place. You care about her, and I can cause you more harm by causing her harm. It's quite simple, really. So, Ms. Abott."

Hatred and rage pounded against my ribs. But it mixed with helplessness. I couldn't let her scar Hannah.

"Wait, no. Please." The words were torn from my throat. I knew they wouldn't help, but Alecto paused.

"Beg."

"What?"

"Get on your knees, and beg me to hurt you instead." After I didn't immediately comply, she turned back to Hannah. "Where should I start?" She spun the knife around her finger, then put her wand underneath Hannah's chin.

"Did you know the Cruciatis Curse can hurt more depending on where the caster aims? And right here, hurts the most."

"You won't do it. I dare you." The girl stuck out her chin. My vision was blurring with denied tears, as I realized she was trying to protect me, just as I was protecting her.

"You really think I won't? Cru-."

"Please." I choked. The Carrow sister turned back to face me, her ugly face curved into a malicious smile.

"From your knees, Mr. Longbottom."

It was then, that I realized I'd do this to save her. Because I'd do anything to save her. Swallowing my pride, I dropped to one knee, then another.

"Please. Hurt me instead." My voice sounded ravaged, and I dropped my gaze to avoid looking at her smug sneer.

A part of me urged to lunge at her, but that wouldn't do anything. Even if we had wands, the only person who had a chance of defeating her was Madam Pomfrey.

Madam Pomfrey

I looked around. She wasn't here anymore. She might be running, like anyone with sense would be, but maybe, just maybe she was getting help.

Alecto abandoned Hannah, and turned to me. I briefly looked into the Death Eater's eyes, and tried to get back to my feet, but she grabbed my hair and yanked me back down. She leaned in, and her voice was like something scaly hissing into my ear, and clawing it's way though my brain.

"Oh no, no no no. Not yet. You're going to stay here, kneeling at my feet. I love seeing you so helpless. Reminds me of your parents. Your dad would have done anything for your mum. And it seems you're the same. The same hair, the same eyes, the same week idiocy. They deserved it, you know. Pathetic."

I tried not to respond. Anything I did, she'd take out on Hannah.

"If they were competent in any way, they'd have recovered by now."

I didn't remember punching her, but suddenly she was on the floor with a blood leaking from her nose.

I quickly stood up and inwardly cursed myself. Alecto was getting to her feet, and all I'd done was make her even angrier.

"Now, now. We need to work on your anger management. Maybe learning the consequences of your actions." She pointed her wand at Hannah, and the tip glowed red-hot.

"Neville, this is best." Hannah told me.

No, it isn't! How can she not understand! It's never best for her to get hurt!

"Yes, Neville, this is best. You started this game, now watch me end it." Alecto mocked. And very slowly and deliberately, she moved the burning wand until it was a hair length from the side of Hannah's exposed neck.

I could already see burns, even though the wand hadn't even touched her yet. Her eyes were tightly closed, and her jaw was clenched. And though her only sound was a small gasp, I could tell it hurt quite a lot. She tried to pull away, but Alecto grabbed her hair.

I desperately searched for anything that would distract the insane witch.

"I do fancy you!" The words crawled out of my throat, leaving me wondering who had just used my voice.

Hannah's eyes snapped open. Alecto moved the wand away, but her face remained etched with pain. Despite this, she asked,

"Really?"

"Yeah, but you're dating Ernie, and I was dating Sally-Anne, and I didn't want to break you up or anything like that, and you're happy so I don't want to mess with that, but you deserve to know."

"Neville, I broke up with Ernie two days ago. I only dated him in the first place to make you jealous."

My brain couldn't process all this new information.

"Now, as much as I'm loving this soap opera, we really have to-."

The door burst open. Madam Pomfrey and Professor Mcgonagall had their wands outstretched. A well aimed stunner nearly caught Alecto in the face, but she ducked and missed it my millimeters. She sent a Cruciatis Curse back, and the duel began.

Hannah and I scurried to the corner so as not to get caught in the crossfire, and prepared to wait out the remainder of the duel.

It lasted five seconds.

Alecto lay sprawled on the floor, and we gingerly got up.

Mcgonagall took one look Sally-Anne, who was still unconscious on the bed, and ran to her side.

Madam Pomfrey fixed the side of Hannah's neck in a trice. She pulled Professor Mcgonagall aside, and they conversed in low muted tones.

"Neville, we probably need to talk." Truer words had never been spoken. She took my arm, and pulled me outside. I opened my mouth, but she was already talking.

"Those things we said. They were just to distract Alecto, right?" My chest hurt and felt heavy for some odd reason.

"Sure."

"We, we didn't mean them?"

"No? I didn't. Unless you did?"

"No. So we definitely do not have feelings for each other?"

"Nope, no feelings. Except friend feelings which there are plenty of and I definitely do have.

"Ok. Well, see you later."

I turned away, trying not to be utterly crushed by this. I took three steps away, before turning back to face her. In three more steps I'd closed the gap between us.

"Hannah..."

Just say it.

"Hannah, I need to tell you." Just three words. You can do it. "I, I"

I can't do this.

"I'm glad you broke up with Ernie. You can do better. You're brave, and smart and beautiful, and frankly if you only dated boys in your league, you'd be single forever, because nobody can even compare. You're just that perfect.

And I meant every word of what I said in there."

"I did too." A smile curved the corner of her mouth, and I could feel it mirrored on my own face.

"So are you going to kiss me now, or what?"

I leaned down, and cupped her cheek in my hand, then lightly pressed my lips against hers. A buzzing, tingling sensation spread through my body. It was as if nothing else mattered. Every thought was wiped from my mind, except for her.

We broke apart, and I instantly knew we weren't alone. About half the DA was watching us in stunned silence. After a few moments, Ginny held her palm out to some members.

"Pay up, suckers."